Carbide tool question

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Having never used a carbide tool and aside from the obvious cupped center, what makes the cupped different from a non-cupped cutter?

Check out my first post I made in this thread. Helps to explain it and duncans vid of lucas using it will help.

keepanionme

Reaction score
First name
Jim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I watched the video and really liked it. To me, it seemed like a very versatile skew in the way he was using it. I've been getting really good at using the 2 skews I have, the problem I'm seeing is with keeping them as sharp as they need to be. This tool seems like it would solve those issues while I continue to learn how to put a good edge on my skews.

Mike Mills

Reaction score
First name
Mike
In the two videos one is round stock and one is flat stock (bar). The flat bar helps resist twisting but the round bar allows you to roll it over when you want to.
I would equate catches to a bowl gouge when the flute is not pointed in the direction of the cut. You may get by with straight up but a few degrees in the wrong direction and the entire wing can be pulled into the work.
I do use a flat carbide bit occasionally for roughing the outside of a bowl, but only from side grain never end grain (as described by Del Stubbs in his early 1980's video).
My question for those who are masters at them... can you point me to videos where carbide cutters are used for perfectly clean cuts for pommels?, turning a cove small than the diameter of the cutter?, turning a bead against an almost flat side?, and other cuts.
In general I will stay with my skew. It never goes back to the grinder unless I want to deepen the hollow grind. A few strokes keeps it razor sharp as you would your bench chisels or plane blades.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I made a square carbide tool and find it very useful. So I decided to make a round one, got some cutters from Captain Eddie, (no problems with the transaction) but I just cant get his flat style cutters to cut aggressively like a square one will. I now have a couple of tools with small round cup cutters and they cut very clean and fast, anyone know if they make cup cutters 1/2", seems like all I see are smaller....

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Guys, I don't know what's up but I am not getting notifications again, so I didn't know any of this conversation was going on. I have never made tools for cupped cutters but don't see why I couldn't. I just never did because the flat cutters last for ever and can be sharpened. I guess I'll start looking for some round bar to make them, then I would need to find a cheap source for the cutters. Man I have to get back to making tools! Not enough hours in a day for me.........working 2 jobs sucks!!!!

keepanionme

Reaction score
First name
Jim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Guys, I don't know what's up but I am not getting notifications again, so I didn't know any of this conversation was going on. I have never made tools for cupped cutters but don't see why I couldn't. I just never did because the flat cutters last for ever and can be sharpened. I guess I'll start looking for some round bar to make them, then I would need to find a cheap source for the cutters. Man I have to get back to making tools! Not enough hours in a day for me.........working 2 jobs sucks!!!!

I was pointed to this website for cutters:

http://azcarbide.com/product/12mm-round-shear-insert-fits-hunter-4-tool/

The above cutter is said to fit this bar:

http://huntertoolsystems.com/product/4-hunter-tool/

It looks, to me, like this is going to work the best for me. I'd like to order it from you, if you think it's feasible to make. What do you think would be a ball park price for something like this?

bamafatboy

Reaction score
First name
keith
From the videos that I have been watching, it seems like the cupped cutters work well on about a 45 degree angle. I also seen where hunter tools has one that is set on this angle to avoid catches. I have the round and square radium cutters and I really like them for roughing out bowls inside and also for shaping the bowl. It looks like the cupped cutters will cut very cleanly and will produce a nice smooth finish and with less tear outs. I would love to try one, but out of my budget range for now.