• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Carbon black pigment

Matt3d03

Reaction score
First name
Matt
I was talking to a pigment company about flat black pigments and they sent me a sample of theirs that's about to hit the market. I noticed this did not blend into the epoxy at all. The pigment sizes are so much bigger than any pigment I've played with. I wonder if any type of micro grinder is available to use. @BangleGuy , this is the clarity of the epoxy I mentioned I was playing with.

IMG-20210127-WA0001.jpg

BangleGuy

Reaction score
First name
Eric
@Matt3d03 was this pigment a powder or in a liquid carrier? You would do better with something like this if you want flat black

I use micas and I have some of this and it works well mixing in epoxy, but it will have a shimmer.

Let me know if you want me to mix a micro batch and take a picture. Here’s a portion of my mica powder stash

500DC9BA-9AAE-413D-92DE-AC0E468F10F5.jpeg

Matt3d03

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Dang! Mica king! I'll have to give that black oxide a look, I was looking for the shimmer to come from the ghost blue. This was a powder but the pigment pieces came much larger than the mica I've played with before. Thanks for the offer on a test batch but I like the trial and error aspect of doing this. Does the black oxide blend like mica?

BangleGuy

Reaction score
First name
Eric
Yes, the black oxide is probably what they mix with mica flakes to get a blend. Mica powders are simply ground pigments mixed with mica. They all mix really well in epoxy. Just do a dip stick test on your mixing stick to see if you have enough pigment added. I like the mica epoxy blend to be very opaque.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
that's an awesome.inventory Eric, did you accumulate all of that during your bangle phase?

BangleGuy

Reaction score
First name
Eric
that's an awesome.inventory Eric, did you accumulate all of that during your bangle phase?
Yes, I was casting a lot of bangles and 4x6 blocks for a company called Carved. I started casting mod blocks (vaping) and then my day job got really hectic so I had to wind it all down.

Strider

Reaction score
First name
Loris
A hint I recently discovered:
Carbon black, also know as lamp black is nothing more than a fancy word for regular soot. Yes, products obviously have some binders if in liquid form and what not, but technically you need just a nice piece of fatwood, a perforated can to burn it in, and a metal plate positioned just above the flames to catch the soot. The buildup should be carbon dust of very high levels of of purity, free of volatiles.
A faster and less eco friendly way is burning diesel or petrol in the same manner for s mediocre oily result.
Vigorous shaking in a small container filled with dust and binder should do the trick to homogenize the mix.
I wanted to try filling one with vessel with epoxy and some other powder (not pigment), and attaching it to hammer drill for some tumbling time. I haven't done it yet but I see why it wouldn't work.