Chamise bowl & mill

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
This is a matching salad bowl and mill made out of chamise that I got from @vegas urban lumber. It was a challenge but well worth it. I went through 3 carbide cutting edges. The bowl is 4.5" x 10" and the mill is 8" tall. I wouldn't mind getting more of this wood despite the rocks I encountered. :)

20210609_113959.jpg 20210609_113735.jpg 20210609_112534.jpg 20210609_112546.jpg 20210609_112559.jpg 20210609_112527.jpg 20210609_113138.jpg

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
As others have noted, that's really eye catching wood and the combo pair is really nice. I saw your post with those big rocks in there and wondering how often people find rocks in burls.

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
As others have noted, that's really eye catching wood and the combo pair is really nice. I saw your post with those big rocks in there and wondering how often people find rocks in burls.
the chamise is a root burl/corm. growing in very rocky conditions at about 4000 foot elevation desert chaparral. i have seen many rocks in the exterior portions of these burls but only a small number of fully encased large rocks

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Barb, that bowl is pretty, and the mill is nice too. ......... Jerry

Below is what I found in some Missouri Black Walnut. Good quality Jeff City Flint. Too bad it cost me a brand new 30" chain and then a 22" chain. That walnut stump was loaded with flint.
3993ED68-C7E4-4454-9CD7-EEA0C56B9721.jpeg FA18677D-8305-4AAD-8224-5FE2AD366E99.jpeg

........... Jerry (in Tucson)

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Holy cow Barb!!! Fanfrikkin tastic!!!

I like your new brand too. Very nice.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Barb, that bowl is pretty, and the mill is nice too. ......... Jerry

Below is what I found in some Missouri Black Walnut. Good quality Jeff City Flint. Too bad it cost me a brand new 30" chain and then a 22" chain. That walnut stump was loaded with flint.
View attachment 210654View attachment 210658

........... Jerry (in Tucson)
To be cutting into a burl like that and hit those rocks would suck. I guess most burls grow farther up the tree so I was thinking more about root balls. I took down a sweet gum at our old house and when I got the root ball out I thought "I bet there's some pretty wood in there". So I borrowed my neighbor's power washer and cleaned it up as best I could. Then rented a chain saw and almost immediately dulled the blade so smoke came out. The thing was full of little rocks and dirt that the power washer couldn't remove. I gave up and hauled it to the dump. And the guy at the rental firm wasn't too happy about it.

Last edited:

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
To be cutting into a burl like that and hit those rocks would suck. I guess most burls grow farther up the tree so I was thinking more about root balls. I took down a sweet gum at our old house and when I got the root ball out I thought "I bet there's some pretty wood in there". So I borrowed my neighbor's power washer and cleaned it up as best I could. Then rented a chain saw and almost immediately dulled the blade so smoke came out. The thing was full of little rocks and dirt that the power washer couldn't remove. I gave up and hauled it to the dump. And the guy at the rental firm wasn't too happy about it.
Have killed several chains and even a couple bars on root balls. The 50+ cypress stumps were a great experience builder...