♫ εηdεd ♫ Cheap reliable printer ?

shadetree_1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Joe
I realize that cheap and reliable don't generally go together (or made in the USA which I would prefer ) but I'll ask anyway, What is the most reliable and least expensive printer out there ? I'd like to start printing my shipping lables at home as opposed to hand writing everything, I only use flate rate boxes from the USPO and I know it is more cost effective (read cheaper here) to print at home for the post office boxes, so what in your opinion is the route I should go ?

All opinions and knowledge welcome.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
We have an HP 7525 photosmart. It prints and scans. Does labels also. Works great. HP's customer service is absolutely horrible though. I hate them. But Costco had it on sale and face it we are cheap. :yipee::yipee:

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Mike1950 said:
We have an HP 7525 photosmart. It prints and scans. Does labels also. Works great. HP's customer service is absolutely horrible though. I hate them. But Costco had it on sale and face it we are cheap. :yipee::yipee:
There are lots of cheap printers out there, it's the cartridge refils where they get ya! ouch! Have you thought about a rubber stamp. I got a self inking rubber stamp made at Kinkos for something like 20 bucks...

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Barry Is right the cartridges are spendy- we get them refilled at Costco and save about half.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Mike1950 said:
...HP's customer service is absolutely horrible though. I hate them.

That's the Gospel! Their CS is the worst I've ever experienced.

barry richardson said:
... I got a self inking rubber stamp made at Kinkos for something like 20 bucks...

You mean to say you had a stamp made that is a shipping label? I don't understand the benefit of that. Joe want to print the labels to avoid filling them in by hand. I've been printing them since 2004 and would never go back to hand written ones - it's so easy to make a few mouse clicks and viola. Plus I use it for my quarterly reports to give to my accountant. Silly easy that way I don't even have to use accounting software.

Joe no matter what printer you get, having them refilled like Mike does or you can refill your own like I do. But if you do not print very often, you should buy a laser printer not an ink jet printer. The ink cartridges can dry out after sitting unused for a while and although they will usually still print from their initial charge, they won't work very well or at all if you refill them after they've sat unused for a while because the jets will never be like new.

This has been my experience from the school of hard knocks. You probably will not print enough to do your own refilling I'd suggest a laser printer or if you go with ink have them refilled like Mike. JMO.

Billnewbie

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Well I'd shop Amazon and Newegg, heres the link for newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Printer-Inkjet-Printers/SubCategory/ID-38
You should run into problems ordering from an online company. Amazon really pushes there sellers to make it right if there is a problem. Newegg well haven't had any you order they ship and as long as I buy good brand name parts they work. I've got some cheap Amazon junk laying around don't work didn't bother trying to replace. Some stuff is cheaper than Harbor freight.

As for the printer I bought a $25 walmart special works great and wife took it to use at work. Bought it 04 ish, it's an HP. Now I did buy us a brother aio network printer and that's the way to go. It's always on and you can print from any computer.

Billnewbie

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Billnewbie said:
You should run into problems ordering from an online company. Amazon really pushes there sellers to make it right if there is a problem. Newegg well haven't had any you order they ship and as long as I buy good brand name parts they work. I've got some cheap Amazon junk laying around don't work didn't bother trying to replace. Some stuff is cheaper than Harbor freight.

As for the printer I bought a $25 walmart special works great and wife took it to use at work. Bought it 04 ish, it's an HP. Now I did buy us a brother aio network printer and that's the way to go. It's always on and you can print from any computer.

opps You Shouldn't run into problems not you should! :nodice:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Billnewbie said:
Billnewbie said:

opps You Shouldn't run into problems not you should! :no dice. more please:

Bill if you use the edit button you can Edit your post.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Kevin said:
Mike1950 said:
...HP's customer service is absolutely horrible though. I hate them.

That's the Gospel! Their CS is the worst I've ever experienced.

barry richardson said:
... I got a self inking rubber stamp made at Kinkos for something like 20 bucks...

You mean to say you had a stamp made that is a shipping label? I don't understand the benefit of that. Joe want to print the labels to avoid filling them in by hand. I've been printing them since 2004 and would never go back to hand written ones - it's so easy to make a few mouse clicks and viola. Plus I use it for my quarterly reports to give to my accountant. Silly easy that way I don't even have to use accounting software.

Joe no matter what printer you get, having them refilled like Mike does or you can refill your own like I do. But if you do not print very often, you should buy a laser printer not an ink jet printer. The ink cartridges can dry out after sitting unused for a while and although they will usually still print from their initial charge, they won't work very well or at all if you refill them after they've sat unused for a while because the jets will never be like new.

This has been my experience from the school of hard knocks. You probably will not print enough to do your own refilling I'd suggest a laser printer or if you go with ink have them refilled like Mike. JMO.

Yea, I was thinking return address labels.... I humbly defer to the experts:sorry: