**ENDED** burl chunk plus some

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
This laid around in the woods for a couple years milled it today and is not even close to dry. Ants have been in it a little but I think between lots of water and anchorseal I have convinced them to vacate. Big enough for a large bowl if you are brave or cut it up for other uses. $45 including LFRB shipping to 50 states.

IMG_20170920_114855.jpg

IMG_20170920_114915.jpg

IMG_20170920_114931.jpg

IMG_20170920_114956.jpg

IMG_20170920_115014.jpg

IMG_20170920_115041.jpg

IMG_20170920_115100.jpg

IMG_20170920_120022.jpg

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
nice grab. i was only a couple hours late
I have a bunch of pieces from the outside of the same burl that could be processed into pens, calls, peppermills and small bowls. I'm thinking probably at lest enough for a LFRB if you are interested. Was thinking about posting them today anyway.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
I trimmed up what will fit well in a LFRB of the leavings from the piece Chris bought. The grain does not show real well because of the anchorseal. plenty of pen, call, and stopper blanks here and I'm sure a small bowl or two. 4 large chunks plus packing peanuts. The last picture is of the trimmings pile and I will include all that will fit of these as packing peanuts. I'm thinking $35 shipping included @vegas urban lumber can have first shot on these. This is not dry wood.

IMG_20170921_115238.jpg

IMG_20170921_115255.jpg

IMG_20170921_115313.jpg

The single slab in the next picture is almost 12x12x1.5 make some good call blanks
IMG_20170921_115318.jpg

IMG_20170921_115353.jpg

IMG_20170921_115404.jpg

Last edited:

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
How many of can just go out and whack down a burl tree whenever they want?:old::saw:

I suppose I will run out in time. I have a small stand or cherry that is pretty loaded with them, I think if a tree is injured a fungus gets into the wood and causes a burl it usually ruins the tree for timber. I have a couple that have nice logs growing in the bottom and the tops are loaded with burls. Sometimes my son saves them for me he has a fulltime automated logging operation, they move wood so fast it is a bit of a nuisance to mess with them. Last week they harvested a small 30 acre lot of white pine took them 3 days to move the equipment in and out and 3 days to harvest and truck 60,000 board feet of logs and 15 trailers of fuel wood chips. Not much chainsaw work everyone just sits in their heated & air-conditioned cab and yanks levers. Not to be outdone I cut 10 trees the same week and split and piled 1.5 cord of firewood (about 3 big pickup load):lol2:

CWS

Reaction score
First name
Curt
I suppose I will run out in time. I have a small stand or cherry that is pretty loaded with them, I think if a tree is injured a fungus gets into the wood and causes a burl it usually ruins the tree for timber. I have a couple that have nice logs growing in the bottom and the tops are loaded with burls. Sometimes my son saves them for me he has a fulltime automated logging operation, they move wood so fast it is a bit of a nuisance to mess with them. Last week they harvested a small 30 acre lot of white pine took them 3 days to move the equipment in and out and 3 days to harvest and truck 60,000 board feet of logs and 15 trailers of fuel wood chips. Not much chainsaw work everyone just sits in their heated & air-conditioned cab and yanks levers. Not to be outdone I cut 10 trees the same week and split and piled 1.5 cord of firewood (about 3 big pickup load):lol2:
Your sons operation sounds like something I see on TV.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Your sons operation sounds like something I see on TV.

A lot less drama than ax men. Although they do from time to time get in some situations it is not a everyday occurrence. Automated tree harvesting is much safer and if done properly does less damage to trees they leave for future harvest. The faller buncher machines place the trees exactly where they need to be. He hires a owner operator to cut the trees, these machines can put enough wood on the ground in a day to keep them in wood for a week or more. Another owner operator processes and hauls the chip wood, his crew yards delimbs bucks to length and trucks the logs and pulpwood. My guess would be around $5,000,000 worth of equipment if everyone is there at once. I may be a little slower but my last equipment purchase was 3 years ago a used chainsaw that set me back almost $100 after I paid for a carb rebuild and new chain.

rvanbeek

Reaction score
First name
Rich
Dave.... sorry I didn't get back to you sooner... I'll take it.. You don't have to seal it but no big deal if you did... If you would pm me for payment... Rich

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Finally got the last of the burl shipped today, tried to do it yesterday but the USPS website kept saying I was registered as non domestic shipper WTF gave them 24 hours to figure out I'm not from Iran and they let me print a label. So that is the end of the burl & this thread

Last edited: