Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Cherry Burl Closed Form

Discussion in 'Turning Critique Forum' started by jasonb, Feb 25, 2018.

1. jasonb

jasonb Sawdust = man glitter Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Jason
    Cherry burl with purple heart and blackwood. Comments and critiques appreciated.

DSC_0617.JPG

DSC_0626.JPG

• Like Like x 4
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 4
    • EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 2
  2. Nature Man

Nature Man Member Full Member

First name:
    Chuck
    Spectacular piece! What are the dimensions? Chuck

3. Lou Currier

Lou Currier Member Full Member

First name:
    Lou
    Nice simple lines, flows together nicely...what about the bottom?

4. jasonb

First name:
    Jason
    ~4.5" tall by 5" wide.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. jasonb

First name:
    Jason
    Simple bottom on this piece, but after seeing @Woodworking Vet bowls and how much attention he puts into the bottom has inspired me to start learning the chatter tool I have which has only been a spectator till now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Woodworking Vet

Woodworking Vet Member Full Member

First name:
    David
    Thank you for the compliment Jason. I like your hollow form but since its in the Critique board I hope you don't mind some compliments and a critique. First off that is a beautiful piece of cherry and you did it justice. I like your finish on it as its not overly glossy making it look like plastic, I'm particular to having a sheen but still being able to feel the wood, so I like whatever it is you used (what did you use?). My critique is that I think it would have looked better without the purple heart. The black compliments the cherry's figure and I think it would have sufficed. But that is just my opinion.

Texturing is fun, it works great on hard and medium woods, horribly on softer woods. Practice with your chatter tool. What you can do is if you're turning down some hard wood stop before you get to your final shape. With that extra meat on the wood tryout different techniques with your chatter tool and see how it looks with that particular wood. Then cut it away as you resume turning to your final shape. If you got good results then remember what you did and apply it after you're done sanding. If you got horrible results then don't texture your turning, but practice on the next one, and the one after that.

I should say, if I'm doing something with plain wood or a shape that has no umph to it then I'll pay more attention to the bottom, its kind of like a nice surprise when someone turns it over. If its a nice piece of wood like the cherry you just turned or a really nice form then there is no need to overdo the bottom.

I'm thinking of planning a trip to Georgetown some time this year to visit inlaws. If I make it I would be happy to stop in for a visit and show you how I do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Sincere Sincere x 1
  7. Lou Currier

First name:
    Lou
  8. Woodworking Vet

First name:
    David
    I'm always hesitant to critique because I am by no means an expert, but I can share my opinion. At our woodturning club during the monthly meeting we have two tables. The show and tell table where quite a few folks bring their turnings to show off. I put pieces on it too. We also have a critique table and very rarely does anyone put anything on it, I do as often as that table is set up because without critiques I can't grow. Sometimes it hurts the ego but when I get home I apply what was said to the next one and I have to say, I'm learning, and growing with my skill. I now look forward to critiques but that doesn't mean I always agree. Any of that make sense?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. jasonb

First name:
    Jason
    @Woodworking Vet thanks for the feedback. I knew with the cherry burl I wanted to practice on that closed form style (I think there should be some critiques on the profile) and to give the rim some detail. I agree w/o the purpleheart is the way to go. I started putting on some CA to help stabilize the blackwood and liked the way it looked so I ended up putting on a couple light coats on the whole piece then knocking the sheen down with yorkshire grit paste.

That'd be great if you have time for a visit when out this way! I would enjoy that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  10. Woodworking Vet

First name:
    David
    Where do you by Yorkshire grit paste stateside? I'm using EEE Ultra shine which I think is the same thing but when I run out I'm going to make my own by mixing Rotenstone (pumice?) with wax.

11. jasonb

First name:
    Jason
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Lou Currier

First name:
    Lou
    There is a good YouTube video on this...I’ll see if I can find the link.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
Current Time: 8:44 AM