Chinese Tallow

andymccrory

Reaction score
First name
Andy
I was given some from a club member cause he was allergic to Chinese Tallow. It was a nice spalted piece. The first piece turned out a beautiful bowl. The next piece I turned made my throat close, eyes water, and sneezed for a couple hours. Even with breathing protection, I am too scared to turn the nice rounds I still have on the shelf....

Tclem

Can't buy love. Buy wood instead
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I was given some from a club member cause he was allergic to Chinese Tallow. It was a nice spalted piece. The first piece turned out a beautiful bowl. The next piece I turned made my throat close, eyes water, and sneezed for a couple hours. Even with breathing protection, I am too scared to turn the nice rounds I still have on the shelf....
Same issues for me.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Send everything you guys are to askeerd to turn and stuff you're alergic to, to me. I'll take care of it. I aint lergic to nothin....

:popcorn:

:lol2:

Digginestdog

Reaction score
First name
Gerald
I would love to have an exotic tree that needs removed in my neighborhood. All I have around here is maple, Walnut, boxelder, hackberry and the likes.

Danny, let's not get carried away here about Chinese tallow. It is a weed tree, haha, not an exotic. They do have beautiful Fall color, but as someone mentioned already, they are messy and nasty to have in your yard, hence, I kill all of them in my yard before they get too big, and they come up everywhere. You're lucky to have those hardwood trees. That said, I do like the grain pattern in the pen below or above (sometimes I don't know where I am, haha), and the gray color is okay. Any of us in Florida should be able to help you find a Chinese tallow (also known as a "popcorn" tree due to the bazillion white popcorn-looking seed pods they produce each year). Glad someone tried working with it first, now I'll start looking for some. Another wood that I discovered by accident was Photinia, more commonly known as Red-tipped Photinia. I haven't had a chance to compare it to anything, but judging from the weight of it, it should be hard. Now, I have a few crotch pieces of that already cut. It's normally planted as a privacy hedge, but if you let it go, it will grow into a tree, and the one I cut down had already destroyed the eaves of the house where it was planted. One of my next projects is to go back and dig up the stump.

Last edited:

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Yeah, but you have to load it, Lou's not allowed to pick up anything heavier than his.................................................................. ink pen!
And, Tony thought I was going to say something else there!