Circular Saw Recommendation

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
I did a search, ran through this thread a ways and am not seeing good recommendations on a good circular saw.

I picked mine up the other day, started to do my cut and looked a little more carefully and I either smashed the thing with something really heavy, dropped it off a 2 story roof, ran over it with a semi, or something. Maybe the first, but the last 2 I know for sure didn't happen. But I don't remember dropping anything on it either. But the motor and blade were canted at about 15 degrees and the angle adjustment still said perpendicular. This was a plane jane Skil-Saw, but actually been a good workhorse. I am not looking for a battery powered saw, I need an old fashioned good saw.

Thought I would ask the experts!!! Thanks in advance!!!

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
I have both a Makita and a Dewalt. I like both but I'd have to say the older Makita is a little stouter and better made.

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
Have had my worm drive Skil-Saw for many years now. Can't break it, can't stop it... The standard 7-1/2" blade I bought used at a flea market pretty cheap and that was probably close to 30 years ago. Looking for more capacity and a second saw where I could leave each one set a specific way, I purchased a new 8-1/2" probably 15 or more years ago. The design has been so rock solid for so long, you could hardly tell a difference in them. It's always been just the quintessential circular saw to me. I've used so many that were over 40 years old it was kind of a novelty buying a brand new one.
Have a light sidewinder of some sort, think it's a modern version Skil, was my father's and came to me when he passed. It's underpowered to me but has it's uses.

I've used a few of the older Porter-Cable versions over the years too. They were also mostly built like rocks. I think it was when they took over Rockwell. Ebay is probably littered with good used ones for reasonable prices if it's not something you gotta have a warrantee on.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
If you can find the made in usa version, the Milwaukee saw is excellent. The older makita and Bosch saws are also great. The older wormdrive skilsaws as reported are nearly bulletproof. The newer saws... I have had bad luck out of kobalt (3 cuts and dead). Milwaukee (hard to keep angle at proper setting and a HORRIBLE design for the ripfence lock screw) Dewalt fluctuates depending on the year... I am still searching for a rock solid American made current model skilsaw... makita has been pretty stable according to my coworkers.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I have a millwaukee and a dewalt. Iike the millwaukee the best. Very smooth running saw, fairy light weight, and I really like the adjustable handle. The dewalt lives in the garage and the millwaukee stays in the shop.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have had my worm drive Skil-Saw for many years now. Can't break it, can't stop it... The standard 7-1/2" blade I bought used at a flea market pretty cheap and that was probably close to 30 years ago. Looking for more capacity and a second saw where I could leave each one set a specific way, I purchased a new 8-1/2" probably 15 or more years ago. The design has been so rock solid for so long, you could hardly tell a difference in them. It's always been just the quintessential circular saw to me. I've used so many that were over 40 years old it was kind of a novelty buying a brand new one.
Have a light sidewinder of some sort, think it's a modern version Skil, was my father's and came to me when he passed. It's underpowered to me but has it's uses.

I've used a few of the older Porter-Cable versions over the years too. They were also mostly built like rocks. I think it was when they took over Rockwell. Ebay is probably littered with good used ones for reasonable prices if it's not something you gotta have a warrantee on.
That’s the thing….I don’t use mine a lot, I try to be careful, it doesn’t get bounced around in the back of the truck…..and I picked it up the other day an it was all cattywampus. I still don’t get it…..unless I am truly that unobservant! Which I could be……

thanks.

Herb G.

Reaction score
First name
Herb
FWIW, I bought a new Craftsman saw in 1995. 7.5", right hand blade. The base plate got rusty & I sanded it & repainted it.
Other than that, it's still got the original blade on it ( carbide tipped ) & it still runs like new.
I think I changed the brushes in it about 15 years ago, but other than that, I haven't done anything special to it.
It's like the bunny. It keeps going & going & etc., etc.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
Garry, it would be Bosch for me as a personal preference and this is going back when I lived in SC. One of the biggest reason I personally chose that brand over other brands is because their manufacturing base is in SC. So if I had a warranty and or need repair or need parts, I could get it right away or get it serviced (haven’t had too). Most of my power tools are Bosch (circular saw, planer, jig saw, etc.)- part of that other that being what I stated above being reliable, dependable, easy to get accessories and probably the biggest part is they are (well when I first bought them) made in the USA & Switzerland………don’t know where some are made now. They are still “ticking” with some over 12-14 years now. My go to for oversize slabs I typically reach out to the jig saw and the hand planer is a work horse for oversize slabs that is too wide for my planer.

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
That’s the thing….I don’t use mine a lot, I try to be careful, it doesn’t get bounced around in the back of the truck…..and I picked it up the other day an it was all cattywampus. I still don’t get it…..unless I am truly that unobservant! Which I could be……

thanks.
Any possibility a screw or bolt just vibrated loose and fell out or is it actually bent?

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
If you can find the made in usa version, the Milwaukee saw is excellent. The older makita and Bosch saws are also great. The older wormdrive skilsaws as reported are nearly bulletproof. The newer saws... I have had bad luck out of kobalt (3 cuts and dead). Milwaukee (hard to keep angle at proper setting and a HORRIBLE design for the ripfence lock screw) Dewalt fluctuates depending on the year... I am still searching for a rock solid American made current model skilsaw... makita has been pretty stable according to my coworkers.
It's a shame how far Milwaukee has gone down hill... Thanks Wall Street. I agree though, the older version of the sidewinder saws were good tools.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any possibility a screw or bolt just vibrated loose and fell out or is it actually bent?
I tried to look it over good. Good idea though to really go over it. I couldn’t reconcile why the motor blade assembly would be so out of kelter with the frame suddenly, but then loosen the frame tilt adjustment and at least get it back close. But the zero mark is about 15 degrees or so out

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
I tried to look it over good. Good idea though to really go over it. I couldn’t reconcile why the motor blade assembly would be so out of kelter with the frame suddenly, but then loosen the frame tilt adjustment and at least get it back close. But the zero mark is about 15 degrees or so out
Is the blade actually 15 degrees off from the base/table? Just wondering if the zero mark indicator got bent or something... Unless something is smashed & broken, which should be obvious, then something is either bent or has come loose and separated. If something is bent, I'd think it can be taken apart and straightened, although some of those parts may be cast and won't take well to being bent back.