“CITES Considering Loosening Rosewood Regulations”

bench1holio

Reaction score
First name
Ben
I was under the impression you could already carry 10kg of rosewood for personal use?

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was under the impression you could already carry 10kg of rosewood for personal use?

That was my understanding as well from last year inregards for the the actual material allowed to be carried at 10kg (22.046 pounds) and same goes with the actual finished instrument with genuine rosewood appointments (rosewood species restriction listed on January 2, 2017). From that point on they “required a complete export permit” to show that the rosewood someone is carrying was acquired in compliance with the said regulations. But, they (group) are now advocating for “complete permit exception”.

As with anything, this is in it’s “infancy” and they need to “flesh out more of the details”.

Last edited:

Blueglass

Reaction score
First name
Les
That is cool. I purposely make a point of using FL woods that would go into a chipper. I've been very happy with my "alternative" woods so far. Sapodilla should become one of the standard fretboard woods.

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
That is cool. I purposely make a point of using FL woods that would go into a chipper. I've been very happy with my "alternative" woods so far. Sapodilla should become one of the standard fretboard woods.

I hope you and your family faired well with the last hurricane Wes. Yes, it seems like there is hope and optimism yet for 2019 as far as some type of compromise and the leash loosening. I do know it has impacted greatly the whole community that deals and use these woods for finished instruments.

Using local woods for alternatives and substitution is well worth the effort as supplies further dwindle on traditional woods and the more newer traditional woods come up on the restriction list. We do have some great domestic woods where we live that is untapped. We just need to stand behind them and continue to experiment so we can hear results and really just expand our sonic palette.

Blueglass

Reaction score
First name
Les
The hurricane didn't come near us. I live within miles of Kennedy Space Center on the other sat coast.

I am going to use the Bois de rose fingerboard on my semi hollow after that I think I'm out of exotic woods. I do want to try some other alternatives, Texas Ebony for a fingerboard is real high on the list. Mesquite for a neck being it is the most stable wood available as far as my research goes. Bodies Camphor and Tropical Almond (related to Limba), Chinaberry related to Mahogany but the grain looks cooler...

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
Poor Wayne @FLQuacker, I think he got the brunt of it due to where he is. I hope his family, home and hurricane is okay. Makes me wonder if I made the right move to move to Charleston as we always worry about the hurricane during hurricane season. New York we can have a snow storm, weather it and dig out of it, but strong wind, flooding, surges just over powers and really nothing you can do from those elements.

That is the great part about Florida is that there are all these species of wood available to you domestically. Plus, there are a lot of exotic wood vendors there as there are ports where wood shipment comes from Central and South America.

I am glad you are “going off the beaten path” and trying all sorts of alternatives and substitute outside of traditional woods.

I do like Bois de rose as it does have beautiful heartwood color variegation. It does have a much more different tap tone compare to standard Madrose. The ones I have surprisingly has more bass response and articulation (one is flat sawn and the other quartered). I have a couple of planks that I saved that I can get a couple of one piece neck construction.