Cites question

Jason Martin

Reaction score
First name
Jason
Hi,
I was at an auction about a month ago, and there was some Brazilian Rosewood for sale. Could I legally have bought this and made something out of it and sold it, or resold the lumber, as long as i didn't send it out of the country?
Also may have the opportunity to buy some Lignum Vitae and have the same questions for it.
No paperwork at all on either species.
Thanks!

Jason Martin

Reaction score
First name
Jason
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks! What would you say is a fair price for Lignum Vitae logs, sapwood still on them? I know thats a hard question with out seeing it, but any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks!

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
I’d be cautious about true lignum versus the Argentine stuff/verawood. They’re both nice, but the latter is considerably cheaper in my experience. No clue on pricing logs of either though...

Jason Martin

Reaction score
First name
Jason
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I figured it would be hard to put a price to it... I may try to buy some of the smaller pieces, and not mess with the logs.
Thanks for the information!

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I figured it would be hard to put a price to it... I may try to buy some of the smaller pieces, and not mess with the logs.
Jason, I might like some of that Lignum sapwood, or a piece showing both sapwood and heartwood. Don't think I have any with sapwood in my coffers...

Mike Bijon

Reaction score
First name
Mike

Logs have a bigger risk of checks and knots, so you need to be careful until you get an eye for things.

Still, with real Lignum going for $100/bf from some places, you might be OK if those are only $20-30/bf. Just be careful it's not Verawood / Argentine LV, since that's only $20-30/bf for good, square material if you buy a decent amount.