Clear filler for burly dining bench

Patrude

Reaction score
First name
Rich
I'm building a rustic dining table bench. 6' by 18". It's oak 5/4 oak burll with a lot of holes and bark inclusions. I think I would like to fill the voids with something clear so we can see what's going on in the wood. I'm not sure what to use. I thought about epoxy bar top finish but I'm uncertain if that would interfere with applying a satin finish to the bench top. Looking for ideas and suggestions, thanks

Kevin

Wood is good.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
No the epoxy will not interfere - epoxy takes a semi gloss or satin/eggshell finish just fine. Scuff it up with 400 and you're good to go. I always fill the voids level with the surface before the flood coat because it works out better than trying to fill the settled voids after the fact.

I'd love to see that board though!

Patrude

Reaction score
First name
Rich
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No the epoxy will not interfere - epoxy takes a semi gloss or satin/eggshell finish just fine. Scuff it up with 400 and you're good to go. I always fill the voids level with the surface before the flood coat because it works out better than trying to fill the settled voids after the fact.

I am at my part-time job right now, I will follow up with a picture come morning. The 18" width is from joining couple boards together. I've got 3 or 4 with the widest being 13 & 1/2". I haven't planed or jointed anything yet.

Patrude

Reaction score
First name
Rich
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sorry for the late pic, these are the boys I'm talking about , they're Spalted nicely too. Spalting but sound

20150926_095011.jpg

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
This is a technique that worked well for me, flood the top with the epoxy and let it fill all voids, and let it cure, then sand or scrape it back down to bare wood. This will give you a flat surface with all the holes filled, then top it off with the poly of your choice, I had no issues with compatibility between the epoxy and poly. I like this method cause holes and cracks are filled but you avoid the plastic look of bar-top....