Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Clear filler for burly dining bench

Discussion in 'The Charles Neil Finishing Forum' started by Patrude, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Patrude

Patrude Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Rich
    I'm building a rustic dining table bench. 6' by 18". It's oak 5/4 oak burll with a lot of holes and bark inclusions. I think I would like to fill the voids with something clear so we can see what's going on in the wood. I'm not sure what to use. I thought about epoxy bar top finish but I'm uncertain if that would interfere with applying a satin finish to the bench top. Looking for ideas and suggestions, thanks

2. Kevin

Kevin Wood is good. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Kevin
    No the epoxy will not interfere - epoxy takes a semi gloss or satin/eggshell finish just fine. Scuff it up with 400 and you're good to go. I always fill the voids level with the surface before the flood coat because it works out better than trying to fill the settled voids after the fact.

I'd love to see that board though!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Patrude

First name:
    Rich
    I am at my part-time job right now, I will follow up with a picture come morning. The 18" width is from joining couple boards together. I've got 3 or 4 with the widest being 13 & 1/2". I haven't planed or jointed anything yet.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Patrude

First name:
    Rich
    Sorry for the late pic, these are the boys I'm talking about , they're Spalted nicely too. Spalting but sound

20150926_095011.jpg

• Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  5. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    This is a technique that worked well for me, flood the top with the epoxy and let it fill all voids, and let it cure, then sand or scrape it back down to bare wood. This will give you a flat surface with all the holes filled, then top it off with the poly of your choice, I had no issues with compatibility between the epoxy and poly. I like this method cause holes and cracks are filled but you avoid the plastic look of bar-top....

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
Current Time: 8:07 AM