• Woodbarter Hats Are Available!!! Scroll down on the main page to the Member Activities & Site Support, Then click on Wood Barter SCHWAG and go to the topic Woodbarter Hats 2022 to order your hat. There's only a limited quanity, so don't wait to get yours.

Coal finish

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Ok. So today I found one of my old coal blanks on the shelf that @rocky1 made for me a few years ago. Its 10.5 sized tube for the american patriot rollerball, but it also fits the artisan magnetic rollerball. The first time I used
Ca on it and it came out shiny and smooth. This one here I just used one step from psi. And wax. I'm not diggin it.
Thoughts?

IMG_20220528_153353_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220528_153428_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220528_153439_HDR.jpg

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Here's the original i was referring to...

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Don't really care for it either. Surface looks uneven with the variable sheen in areas, probably the nature of the exposed coal vs the resin. I think you'd get a much better finish with CA although it may take lots of coats and sanding to fill surface imperfections and get a nice smooth gloss finish.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
A Matt finish might work better, maybe look more like coal, just thinking out loud....

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
CA better than new attempt. Seems like a lot of effort for either. Wonder how it would compare with Ebony wood, or ABW? Chuck

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
Like you - this doesn't appeal to me.

I'd go with CA to get it shiny & smooth, then knock it back to a satin finish by hand sanding the length of the barrel with 320 or 400 grit (not running the lathe).

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
CA better than new attempt. Seems like a lot of effort for either. Wonder how it would compare with Ebony wood, or ABW? Chuck
That wasn't what I was after Chuck. I wanted to be able to see the coal pieces. I had them originally cast for a guy on another forum whose family worked the coal.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
Black is one of the hardest to get a clarity finish- I can speak off in guitars in general…….the “Black Piano” finish. I am not sure if that sort of surface texture is the product of material itself, if it is, then putting a glossier finish will highlight those visual texture. So you would probably have to go steps down to a “low luster” finish without the sheen. The only other thing I can offer is to wet sand it between coats using micro mesh- you go higher up as you get to more coats. Then I recommend using a buffing compound with a buffing wheel (or a hand held type to get the job done) to give you as close to that “piano finish”. This process is one way electric guitars are finished.

Which brings me to this…….I have had this drafting pencil since College. It is a point of visual reference. You can see the upper part is finished in a “satin” luster and when you get to the lead section where you grip it, it is more textural and has a matte finish.

23DD9082-DD02-4E87-89F9-E0612C6D32A4.jpeg

Last edited: