@@COMPLETED@@Something you don't have: Chrysanthemum Wood

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
I spoke with the quarantine office here and downloaded some info, but they stated irregardless of treatment type, the park needs to some off. So, the only way I'd be able to ship it is in a blank form. Pitty because it looks so cool naturally. If you are still interested though, let me know and I can cut some large blanks out of it.

Let me see what I can come up with first. Might have to remind me if you don't hear back from me after a week.

bhatleberg

Reaction score
First name
Brian
These seemed up your alley - clean 36 x 1.5 x 1.5" in ebony, chakte viga, and European pear. Any interest?

IMAG5512.jpg

IMAG5513.jpg

Byron Barker

Reaction score
First name
Byron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Absolutely! Can I ask you how you would like the vine though? I did a lot of research on customs and it won't be possible to ship it bark in tact. In fact, in may create issues after I remove the bark too if it isn't in blank form. I could cut them into as large of blanks as possible or whatever size you want or I could just remove the bark and seal them and we could cross our fingers. One also has a big knot in it, so it may be impossible to get that one through. I have 3 more as well. I'll post pics on Monday. Let me know what seems like a fair trade to you and we will proceed. Excited about that wood!

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Since I'll send you a some samples, please let me know if you want cut offs of any of the following as well. Pomelo, orange jessamine, longan, cinnamon, hinoki, guava, acacia confusa, bridellia. I can't do deminsional lumber of most of those woods at my workshop since they are too hard for my equipment, but cut offs are fine. Hinoki would be some old pecky board wood cut to whatever. Most will have some checking.
@Byron Barker did you ever follow up on this? I never got anything.

Byron Barker

Reaction score
First name
Byron
@Byron Barker did you ever follow up on this? I never got anything.
Yep. Everything is sealed up. Waiting on the chrysanthemum to dry out as I mentioned earlier in the thread. The stuff was cut recently and needs to dry. The rest is ready to go. I can send the other stuff first if you'd like, just figured I'd send it all at once.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Yep. Everything is sealed up. Waiting on the chrysanthemum to dry out as I mentioned earlier in the thread. The stuff was cut recently and needs to dry. The rest is ready to go. I can send the other stuff first if you'd like, just figured I'd send it all at once.
Sounds great. Thanks. No hurry.

bhatleberg

Reaction score
First name
Brian
Hmm. Seems like removing bark and cutting to blanks is highest percentage, so let's go with that and I'll take my chances. I will send you pm to swap addresses.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Hmm. Seems like removing bark and cutting to blanks is highest percentage, so let's go with that and I'll take my chances. I will send you pm to swap addresses.

@Byron Barker

I wonder if you stripped the bark, hit it with a wire wheel and cleaned it well, then lacquered it, if it would pass as a finished product of decorative column for a Hobbit House project, accompanied with an impressive invoice (on paper not the trade at hand). Just a thought.

Byron Barker

Reaction score
First name
Byron
@Byron Barker

I wonder if you stripped the bark, hit it with a wire wheel and cleaned it well, then lacquered it, if it would pass as a finished product of decorative column for a Hobbit House project, accompanied with an impressive invoice (on paper not the trade at hand). Just a thought.
I'd try it!

bhatleberg

Reaction score
First name
Brian
The test shipment arrived this week! Looks great - thank you.

Sent pm to sort out the logistics of the rest.

bhatleberg

Reaction score
First name
Brian
Already pictured? He sent one of the pieces pictured at start of thread. I am sending the spindles pictured later in thread. He is then sending three other pieces.

Rich P.

Reaction score
First name
Richard
Sorry, I thought the first pictures showed it with the bark and he was shipping it with the bark removed. I was just curious as to what it looked like with the bark removed.
No big deal.
RichP

Byron Barker

Reaction score
First name
Byron
The test shipment arrived this week! Looks great - thank you.

Sent pm to sort out the logistics of the rest.
Thank God! I was starting to bite my nails. A lot of stuff is taking its merry time to get Stateside.

Byron Barker

Reaction score
First name
Byron
Sorry, I thought the first pictures showed it with the bark and he was shipping it with the bark removed. I was just curious as to what it looked like with the bark removed.
No big deal.
RichP
It looks super cool actually. Looks like an animal or something. I was really impressed with how stubborn the bark was to get off. I used a steel brush grinding disk on my angle grinder and just pretty much brushed off the excess skin. Hopefully you can get some pics.

Byron Barker

Reaction score
First name
Byron
Yes please, looks great! You want me to add a 1 ft piece of the bigger stuff I have?

Byron Barker

Reaction score
First name
Byron
Sorry about these crappy pictures, but this is a piece I was concerned about trying to ship. I filled the voids with CA and it soaked right in. Used up a small bottle. Now I am concerned there are air bubbles trapped in glue in it. It'll have some crazy grain, just not positive about it getting through. The other two are fine. I can switch it out for a clean larger piece along with the piece for the Bocote above if you'd like or we can try our luck sending it. Up to you! Let me know and I'll finish packing it all up and send it out.

68692523_10157799084775934_6335178625339359232_n.jpg

68420183_10157799084175934_5361478692881039360_n.jpg

67531021_10157799084750934_5134091643783217152_n.jpg