Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Conductors Baton

Discussion in 'Instrument Makers' started by Leroy Blue, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Leroy Blue

Leroy Blue Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Boyd
    The tapered wooden dowl that fits into the handel of a conductors baton.
    Could someone please help shorten my learning curve on making these please!
    I would be very appreciated!
    Thank You
    Leroy Blue

2. Blueglass

Blueglass Member Full Member

First name:
    Les
    The topic looked so cool I jumped on it. I am clueless but I will watch this.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    Batons are between 12-14 inches in total length depending on thelength of the bulb (Each stick is 12 inches in length with a gentle taper). These batons are not weighted or balanced as they are made for the conductor who needs a weightless baton in his/her hands.

Info page.

Instructables web page how to make one.

If you can make the handle, your best bet would be to find a fiberglass rod. You could also use the top end of an old fishing rod. You would need to make it a light color (white) though or find a white pole.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    I only suggest the fiberglass because some conductors beat the snot out of it, and a light wood would be useless after a few mishaps...

5. Leroy Blue

Leroy Blue Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Boyd
    Thank Guys,
    My Son Leroy Jr. has been in the school band for all 13 years. (No they did not have Kindergarten)
    He wants to give a gift to each of his band/music teachers.
    I believe I can handel the handel but there must be a trick to tapering the stick evenly. I should just jump in and go for it. There such a large group of knolageable and talented good friends I know the ansure will come!
    I going to make two or three to be able to teach Jr. Then let him loose on his presents I sure hope he can finish them before his 14 year is over.

6. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    Maybe @Tclem can offer advice on the stick turning. Sure everyone gives em a ration of sh** for turning hair sticks, but it's harder than it seems. At least to me. He makes some real nice ones too....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Sprung

Sprung Amateur Sawdust Maker Full Member

First name:
    Matt
    With a quick search, I found this thread from 2005 on another forum. Someone familiar with the making of them suggested going to McMaster-Carr and then search for item number 8543K27. The product is a white fiberglass rod 1/8" in diameter. If I was making some, this is the way I'd go - certainly would be stronger than a wood shaft and it's already white, so you wouldn't have to paint it - simply cut to length, maybe round over the tip a little, and glue it into a turned handle w/ a 1/8" hole in it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Current Time: 9:35 PM