1. To all members, we have made some changes to the rules. We encourage you to take a moment and re-acquaint yourself with the rules.

Conductors Baton

Discussion in 'Instrument Makers' started by Leroy Blue, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Leroy Blue

Leroy Blue Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Boyd
    The tapered wooden dowl that fits into the handel of a conductors baton.
    Could someone please help shorten my learning curve on making these please!
    I would be very appreciated!
    Thank You
    Leroy Blue

2. Blueglass

Blueglass Member Full Member

First name:
    Les
    The topic looked so cool I jumped on it. I am clueless but I will watch this.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

First name:
    Marc
    Batons are between 12-14 inches in total length depending on thelength of the bulb (Each stick is 12 inches in length with a gentle taper). These batons are not weighted or balanced as they are made for the conductor who needs a weightless baton in his/her hands.

Info page.

Instructables web page how to make one.

If you can make the handle, your best bet would be to find a fiberglass rod. You could also use the top end of an old fishing rod. You would need to make it a light color (white) though or find a white pole.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

First name:
    Marc
    I only suggest the fiberglass because some conductors beat the snot out of it, and a light wood would be useless after a few mishaps...

5. Leroy Blue

Leroy Blue Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Boyd
    Thank Guys,
    My Son Leroy Jr. has been in the school band for all 13 years. (No they did not have Kindergarten)
    He wants to give a gift to each of his band/music teachers.
    I believe I can handel the handel but there must be a trick to tapering the stick evenly. I should just jump in and go for it. There such a large group of knolageable and talented good friends I know the ansure will come!
    I going to make two or three to be able to teach Jr. Then let him loose on his presents I sure hope he can finish them before his 14 year is over.

6. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    Maybe @Tclem can offer advice on the stick turning. Sure everyone gives em a ration of sh** for turning hair sticks, but it's harder than it seems. At least to me. He makes some real nice ones too....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Sprung

Sprung Amateur Sawdust Maker Full Member

First name:
    Matt
    With a quick search, I found this thread from 2005 on another forum. Someone familiar with the making of them suggested going to McMaster-Carr and then search for item number 8543K27. The product is a white fiberglass rod 1/8" in diameter. If I was making some, this is the way I'd go - certainly would be stronger than a wood shaft and it's already white, so you wouldn't have to paint it - simply cut to length, maybe round over the tip a little, and glue it into a turned handle w/ a 1/8" hole in it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Current Time: 7:37 AM