• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Conference Call = Fibonacci Gauge

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Got stuck on a hour long conference call that I only had to be on and listening to, so I ventured out into the garage to piddle around. Took an old ceiling fan blade that had been in the basement for 10+ years, a few quick cuts on the bandsaw, and some misc. bolts and wingnuts and 20 minutes later came up with this. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but for how I'll use it and free it's great for some quick layouts. Dead nuts accurate according to my calculator.

I knew that old fan blade would come in handy!!!

20210305_155045.jpg

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Nice! Where did you get the specs for it?
There are a ton of plans and videos on them, but the key is no matter what length you make them, keep the ratio between the point, midpoint, and end of the legs, at the connection points, at 1.618 to 1.

For example, if you want the outside legs to be 12", you would have the connection point towards the middle at 7.41" (12/1.618) up from the tip. The two middle legs are based off of those dimensions. Drill your holes in the right spots and everything else falls into place nicely. Very quick and easy to throw one together if you just want something to base designs and proportions off of. I thought it may help me with some hollow forms until I get enough under my belt to get a natural eye for it.

Here's the plan I used, but I changed the dimensions and made it a bit smaller overall.