Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Considering Veneer for kitchen?

Discussion in 'Veneering' started by David Hill, Apr 14, 2017.

1. David Hill

David Hill I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite. Full Member Thread Starter

Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
    First name:
    David
    Well considering that I've time on my hands because of this healing leg thing.... SWMBO has reminded me again that WE need to plan/do something with our kitchen cabinets. Looked at having them redone thru box store-- too many $$ for something I should be able to do!
    Our cabinet fronts are plywood with a Maple'ish finish and frame molding on front faces. I plan on changing the molding and veneering the doors and face surfaces.
    Looking at paperbacked veneer--prolly Red Oak or a relative. Anybody have experience or recs?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  2. steve bellinger

steve bellinger Member Full Member

First name:
    Steve
    David not discourage you but that's a lot more work than you might think. I've done that one time for a customer and won't ever do it again. Now that's just me you might injoy it. If I was going to redo my cabs with out removing them,(and I have ) I would just build new face frames and doors. It's a lot easier to finish them in the shop then you can just remove one or two at a time as you get them done. Ether way best of luck and most of all have fun. :good2:

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  3. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    when I moved into my house in 88-previous owner had redone 74 cabinets in red oak veneer and new doors and drawer fronts. Looked great for a while but veneer chipped and torn easily. By the time we replaced them 20 yrs later they were ugly-now of course the 5 teenagers were not easy on them.
    . I built new cabinets. They still look new.

4. David Hill

David Hill I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite. Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    David
    @Mike1950 , @steve bellinger
    Thanks guys!
    I'm not totally sold on veneering-- agree that it'd be a LOT of work--cutting/gluing. Also considering making new doors (I can do that!). That way can have new hardware/hinges. I may laminate the frames (thinner ply) so it won't be so hard to match finish.
    Having forced idle time making me think on projects. (She's scared, very scared :lol2:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. woodman6415

woodman6415 Member Full Member

First name:
    wendell
    After 30yrs in the custom cabinet business I'll have to agree with the above ... only veneered one job ... swore never again .... now new doors/drawer fronts plus laminated fronts is the way to go ...
    I'm about to start our new kitchen cabinets ( have listened to boss complain long enough ) ... will be made out of qtr sawn white oak with shaker style doors/drawer fronts ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    It is you that should be scared- new cabinets means- new floors-paint-counter tops-appliances and Honey- the dishes and silverware do not look right in new kitchen- maybe we should get new dining set....... :scare3:- she has you right where she wants ya..... thinkin yer in control..

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 1
  7. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    I thought the same. Many hours and $$$$$$$$$ later everthing and i mean everything was new it kitchen

• Like Like x 2
  8. woodman6415

woodman6415 Member Full Member

First name:
    wendell
    This kitchen build will be the third and I hope final ...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    David, we needed to redo ours about 10 years ago. Needed all new ones, ours were original from 1979, cheap partical board crap. I thought about building some, but it would've taken forever considering I work 50+ hours a week. We ended up going to Habitat for Humanity store, bought new unassembled ones for less than I could build them for. Solid wood doors and frame, plywood sides and backs, pretty dang nice ones! Tony

• Like Like x 2
  10. David Hill

First name:
    David
    That's a thought too, will check that out & @Mike1950 -- I was the one wanting new couter tops.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. CWS

CWS Member Full Member

First name:
    Curt
    Now that is the scary part.:old:

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. sprucegum

sprucegum Member Full Member

First name:
    Dave
    My dad did his with veneer around 10 years ago and I made new doors and drawer fronts for him. It came out OK but It would have been about the same amount of work to build new face frames. As long as you have enough overhang on the counter top you can put them on over. A local cabinet shop does many of them and it is a huge savings over installing a whole new kitchen provided the existing cabinets are in good condition. I have done quite a few kitchen rehabs and usually the old particle board cabinets have issues especially drawer slides and under the sink deterioration. Wish I lived closer I love to do a set of cabinets in my shop in mid winter, you can build a hell of a kitchen for $5000 in materials even less if you cheap out on hardware.
    2000-12-31 23.00.00-107.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
Current Time: 4:46 PM