• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

**Contest** Best use of Bangle Center Blanks

BangleGuy

Reaction score
First name
Eric
Hello All! I have successfully cleared out some shelf space in my shed and shipped over 1000 resin cast, and all-wood bangle centers that I collected over four years of making bangle blanks. Wow! that’s a lot of drill press work. At any rate, there is some fun discussion going on about what can be done with these blanks (which are generally 2”diameter x 3/4” to 1.5” tall with a 5/16” through hole). So, here’s the idea for some great collaboration and a contest!
The rules:
1) Build your favorite project using blanks with the dimensions listed above. You don’t have to have purchased any, feel free to make your own blanks.
2) Post a picture to this thread and any fun details about your project before February 1st, 2021.
3) The Woodbarter community will vote on your favorites and the votes will be tallied
4) First, second and third place win a prize!

Prizes;
+ First place has their choice of the two items shown below (or they can PM me if they want more bangle centers, Ha!)
+Second place gets the prize not selected by the first place winner
+Third place gets the cutting board supplied by Tony, picture posted further down.
Fine Print
Shipping of prizes included for winners located within the USA. Non USA winners will need to arrange for additional costs to ship to foreign locations.
Rules and prizes are subject to tweaks by the WB moderators @Tony

84B6D4B4-8ED2-46A0-9388-0538D6CE4E52.jpeg

Resin cast Aussie resin vein Burl blocks (4 x 6.5 x 3/4”)

0E7E44CD-F0F9-4507-AD23-34D3D155BCDD.jpeg
Brand new Gripper push block

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Great idea Eric, it's very generous of you to offer such great prizes! I may have something for the third place vote getter....

NCWoodArt

I always get told I have nice wood.
Reaction score
First name
Bill
C8D75EDF-BCDF-4A8D-B0BF-CED9CAE1E3D6.jpeg
This is all I have ever made with the ones I got in the past they are quick and easy to knock out. I used 2 part epoxy to fill in the holes, usually just white but I been debating on doing them with black pigment added.

Gardnaaa

Reaction score
First name
Zack
I’ll kick it off I guess. Not perfect by any means and I’m sure y’all will smoke me lol. Shift knob I turned for my brothers Mazda out of the bangle resin rounds I got from Eric. It’s a little blurry because I snapped this pic from the video I took. But here goes nothing

8A3D4E3B-9ACF-4A09-A272-A2E2C0D731BF.png

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Can we offer up idea suggestions?

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Please do! All input is welcome. :saw:

Ok cool. Here's a few....

Glue them into a stack and use them for a peppermill.
Christmas ornaments.
Lidded turned boxes.
Lidded turned snowman boxes.
Yo-yos.
Pen display stands.
Weed pot container/vase/display.

I'm not in this contest, but this is a great idea Eric. Very generous of you. Thanks for this.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Ok cool. Here's a few....

Glue them into a stack and use them for a peppermill.
Christmas ornaments.
Lidded turned boxes.
Lidded turned snowman boxes.
Yo-yos.
Pen display stands.
Weed pot container/vase/display.

I'm not in this contest, but this is a great idea Eric. Very generous of you. Thanks for this.
Great ideas Marc! What do you mean by a snowman box?

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
and lemme throw Damon "under the proverbial bus", and see if he has any good ideas, I know his mind is always churning out cool ideas...
@Woodworking Vet

:hi:

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I still have a bunch of these centers I traded you years ago Eric, for some DIW I think..... made a bunch of these ring holders once, this is one my wife kept. BTW the ring was made from one of your ring centers:good2: ring holder.JPG

BangleGuy

Reaction score
First name
Eric
I still have a bunch of these centers I traded you years ago Eric, for some DIW I think..... made a bunch of these ring holders once, this is one my wife kept. BTW the ring was made from one of your ring centers:good2:View attachment 198410
@barry richardson I showed my wife your ring stand and now I am on the hook to make one (or three). She really liked the idea! It looks like a fun project too! Great idea :goodpost:

Woodworking Vet

Reaction score
First name
Damon
Sorry I missed out on those, they would have been fun for me and some of the vets I mentor to play with.

Some ideas (and some may be repeated from above) are;

Yoyos for sure.
Pen stands in a dome shape using these type of inserts
Sliced thinner I think these can be turned into pendants, fill the hole with a stone or button or?
Use two similar pieces, sliced in half and you'll have wheels for a psychedelic wood toy car, gotta paint the car to go with the wheels of course.
With a hardwood dowel insert the could be turned into spinning tops
stack three and turn into a snowman
can the thicker pieces be used for kalidascopes?
I like the ring holders above
cut in half so its like a half circle, then shaped into a drawer pull?
Open the hole, slightly flatten a spot on the side and put in a 1" or 2" clock insert

I'll keep pondering.....