**Contest** Best use of Bangle Center Blanks

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Okay, to going to make many of these out of my bangle centers, but this was my first thought. Just need to find an expert to tell me if it sounds like a duck......

B0FB8CD0-36A0-4973-A41D-472F33A1D288.jpeg

DE2C27B4-00CC-48EF-A915-0BE96D11D68F.jpeg

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
Barb that is such a creative and beautiful application! I was going to walk towards it with a glass of cold milk and grab some of those striped or oatmeal cookies 😉 off that bowl........or a cinnamon raisin mini bagel. Damn, these could fool some kids if you had these on top of the kitchen table.......

Last edited:

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Ahhh...I should've known because of the wood. Still, it looks intentionally seamless. :)
I thought I had three pieces of buckeye burl, and thought I read the markings correctly. But once I got to turning realized that piece wasn’t. So, I designed it so I would lose the most from that end.

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
here's a knife and handle made in the likes of the bangle center knife handle
he even uses a hole saw to cut out the disks at 2:30

Last edited:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Just a tip guys. If you have the Ruth Niles stopper mandrel these blanks will thread onto it to turn.

Ken Martin

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Ive been reading about these bangle centers for months now and these are some very creative ideas for their use. But one item I have yet to see is the original intent.

Show Us Some of Your Bangles!:cool:

BangleGuy

Reaction score
First name
Eric
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ive been reading about these bangle centers for months now and these are some very creative ideas for their use. But one item I have yet to see is the original intent.

Show Us Some of Your Bangles!:cool:
Oh, too funny Ken! As you have seen, I spent five years cutting loads of wood into small circles. Here’s a sample of bangles, but probably not the best ones.
DEE0F624-ADF6-4D8C-A478-23B0F048597A.jpeg
Some type of a Malaysian Mango burl
6418ECBA-12DC-416F-98FB-CBEAA372966B.jpeg
A really cool punky BEB w black resin and cholla w pink mica resin
F9965DA2-EE51-4019-B4CE-7823EE55BF9C.jpeg
Desert Ironwood with crushed Sleeping Beauty turquoise inlay over copper. I think I might have made this one into a YouTube series... Don’t quite recall

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Here's my last entry that I just got done. It's a cigar case with a cutter/punch top. I had no idea what a pain this would be. I had to make 2 sets of bushings for it. One to shape it and the other for putting the finish on. I used ca as the finish. All in all it was worth it since it's a gift for a family member but I won't be making anymore unless I can find bushings for it lol.

Edit: This didn‘t come with instructions and after looking at Craft Supplies site, I realized I installed the middle section backwards. Oh well lol.

20210129_182618.jpg 20210129_182803.jpg 20210129_182859.jpg

Last edited:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Great looking cigar case!

Is that kit from Craft Supplies? I made one a couple of years ago that I think was from Craft Supplies, and I'm pretty sure I've got bushings for it too.

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Great looking cigar case!

Is that kit from Craft Supplies? I made one a couple of years ago that I think was from Craft Supplies, and I'm pretty sure I've got bushings for it too.
Dang it! No this was from Turner's Warehouse but I wish I had looked there. It would've saved a ton of time.

BangleGuy

Reaction score
First name
Eric
Here's my last entry that I just got done. It's a cigar case with a cutter/punch top. I had no idea what a pain this would be. I had to make 2 sets of bushings for it. One to shape it and the other for putting the finish on. I used ca as the finish. All in all it was worth it since it's a gift for a family member but I won't be making anymore unless I can find bushings for it lol.

View attachment 201458View attachment 201459View attachment 201460
This turned out great Barb! Another unique use for those blanks and it looks fantastic. I suspect a prize will be heading your way soon! You have entered some nice pieces for the contest! Thanks for joining in the fun :good2:

BangleGuy

Reaction score
First name
Eric
Fellow Woodbar-tarians!!! Only a few more days until the contest closes. This is the last weekend for the contest, and there are prizes! If you have ideas, and a few hours to spend in the shop, make something fun out of small round donuts! The only condition for this contest is that you use wood blanks that are about 2” in diameter by about 1 to 2” tall that have a 5/16” hole in the middle. You can make your own blanks, join the contest and have a chance for a prize. Thanks all!

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I will post some pics tonight, I was thinking today was the 31st, sorry Eric!