1. To all members, we have made some changes to the rules. We encourage you to take a moment and re-acquaint yourself with the rules.

Corona Virus site

Discussion in 'Kenbo's Chat Room' started by Spinartist, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Spinartist

Spinartist Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Lee
  2. Nature Man

Nature Man Member Full Member

First name:
    Chuck
    Will be a great reference source once it's populated with info. Chuck

3. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    Been watching that one for a few days. average age in Italy is almost 48- 37 here. Public transportation and are denser populated- at least compared to where I live. Washington is sorta ground zero- most 55 deaths have been in state run nursing home. 7 million Plus in state...

4. whitewaterjay

whitewaterjay Member Full Member

First name:
    Jason
    Pretty scary numbers, praying for a miracle in the way they can treat patients with this virus!

5. Wildthings

Wildthings ASTROS 2019 WORLD CHAMPION VIDEO PLAYERS Full Member

First name:
    Barry
  6. Alan Sweet

Alan Sweet Friendly Wizard Full Member

First name:
    Alan
    Wuhan virus (aka COVID-19) 8727 deaths, 214,000 cases. Mortality rate =0.04. (4%)
    Flu season mortality 2017-2018: 10,8%

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Schroedc

Schroedc Trying to kick a nasy sawdust habbit.... Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Colin
    Source for that number on the Flu Mortality? That seems way off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Alan Sweet

First name:
    Alan
    The Wuhan virus numbers come the site given in post.
    8727 / 214,000 =0.04... ~4%
    Flu season mortality 2017-2018: 10,8% comes from CDC

• Like Like x 1
  9. Alan Sweet

First name:
    Alan
    From CD ...
    During the 2017-2018 season, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) was at or above the epidemic threshold for 16 consecutive weeks. During the past five seasons, the average number of weeks this indicator was above threshold was 11 (range of 7 to 15 weeks). Nationally, mortality attributed to P&I exceeded 10.0% for four consecutive weeks, peaking at 10.8% during the week ending January 20, 2018.

• Like Like x 2
    • Sincere Sincere x 1
  10. TimR

TimR Sawdust Engineer Full Member

First name:
    Tim
    Just wait till all the kids come back from spring break!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Alan Sweet

First name:
    Alan
    @TimR If you are referring to college spring break, there is better chnce they retiurn with some mysterious STD than the Wuhan virus.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gdurfey

Gdurfey Member Full Member

First name:
    Garry
    Have you seen pics on national news of kids at Clearwater, Florida? Disgusting, worse if you hear the interviews

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. FranklinWorkshops

FranklinWorkshops Member Full Member

First name:
    Larry
    It's going to spread like crazy when the brain-challenged kids drag themselves home from spring break. Parents should quarantine them in the basement for at least two weeks. Just throw down a pizza and beer and they'll be happy with their phones and computers.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. JerseyHighlander

JerseyHighlander Member Full Member

First name:
    Kyle
    This is a ridiculous scam. Engineered propaganda and fear mongering used for a power grab. States trying to declare martial law & suspend the constitution over a fairy tale.

15. Sprung

Sprung Amateur Sawdust Maker Full Member

First name:
    Matt
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2017-2018.htm

"The overall burden of influenza for the 2017-2018 season was an estimated 45 million influenza illnesses, 21 million influenza-associated medical visits, 810,000 influenza-related hospitalizations, and 61,000 influenza-associated deaths"

61,000 deaths is a tragedy. But it's extremely far from a 10.8% mortality rate.

61,000 / 45,000,000 = 0.00135

Or 0.135%

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. JerseyHighlander

JerseyHighlander Member Full Member

First name:
    Kyle
    61,000 Deaths in the US, from the normal flu, the one that has apparently disappeared entirely this year. With a US population of 327 million.

According to the information posted on the site linked by the OP, 3130 deaths in China attributed to Corona Virus, with China's population of 1.39 BILLION.

China has 4.25x our population and has only had 3120 deaths.

This is an incredibly low death rate for anything yet is being hyped up to proportion of a worldwide plague... It is generally estimated that 1200 people die nearly every single day in this country from medical malpractice alone. 1200 EVERY DAY. I'll take my chances with whatever virus you want to throw at me.

This while information coming out of Italy is that 90% of the deaths claimed to be caused by Corona Virus were people that were already in such terrible condition there was little chance they weren't going to die anyway.

This is mind control propaganda at it's absolute best.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Alan Sweet

First name:
    Alan
    @Sprung, I'm not going to dispute your numbers (mine came from https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2017-2018.htm)
    My overall concern was that the media had absolutely no concern for terrible epidemic of 2017-18 and have been primarily responsible for creating mass fear and panic for
    one that is far less severe. In addition, the media also avoided mentioning anything about in the flu epidemic of 2011-2012 (56,000 died in the US). The news media in this country is corrupt and only address those things that are self serving. They care less about truth and facts or the people that read their crap.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  18. Sprung

Sprung Amateur Sawdust Maker Full Member

First name:
    Matt
    Just to clarify, the line where you got your percentage:

Nationally, mortality attributed to P&I exceeded 10.0% for four consecutive weeks, peaking at 10.8% during the week ending January 20, 2018.

It is stating that during 4 specific weeks deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza made up 10% of the deaths in the US each of those weeks, so 1 out of 10 who died in those weeks died from pneumonia or influenza. Then one week experienced P&I being attributed to 10.8% of deaths in the listed week.

But as far as the actual death rate of influenza vs. those who contract it, the average is roughly 0.14% of people who contract influenza in a given year die from it. A definite tragedy that is unfortunately so overlooked - never mentioned.

As far as my thoughts on COVID-19, well, I'm not going to go into it here, other than to say that I've become well researched on it from reliable resources (certainly not mainstream media) and from personal conversations with health care professionals and, while it may not kill as many people as the flu in the end, it is certainly something to be concerned about.

• Like Like x 1
  19. T. Ben

T. Ben Member Full Member

First name:
    Troy
    I don’t think it’s the death rate they’re worried about,it’s how fast it spreads,and the amount of people infected,showing symptoms, and needing care would be to many for the hospitals to handle.

• Agree Agree x 10
  20. Spinartist

Spinartist Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Lee
    All the beaches just got closed here. Stupidity!!

• Agree Agree x 2
Current Time: 11:30 AM