• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Cottonwood bark

BangleGuy

Reaction score
First name
Eric
I cut up the bark and a chunk fell off reducing the thickness in half. I am not feeling too good about this surviving a trip half way across the country without breaking in half or more. I will wrap it in plastic shrink wrap and insert packing, but it is a bit fragile.
B832C417-99E9-4DD3-86B3-BBD171B93D73.jpeg 5276D93D-4CF1-48A1-A449-0B8D60F65747.jpeg

Robert Uresk

Reaction score
First name
rob
I guess all we can do is give it a try, I don't see it being a successful trip but you cut it up already, didn't think it was that thin

BangleGuy

Reaction score
First name
Eric
A note to the community, we both decided to not send this batch of bark out through the mail. It’s just too far gone. Its all good though. :drinks:

Robert Uresk

Reaction score
First name
rob
A note to the community, we both decided to not send this batch of bark out through the mail. It’s just too far gone. Its all good though. :drinks:
Bangleguy, is a stand up guy I appreciate the fact that we came to a mutual agreement and understanding, with no hard feelings. Handled like a gentleman, hope to do buisness in the future

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Bangleguy, is a stand up guy I appreciate the fact that we came to a mutual agreement and understanding, with no hard feelings. Handled like a gentleman, hope to do buisness in the future
For cheap practice carvings, you might find ya a couple them afreeka masks that seem to live at the thrift stores. Smooth em with a grinder, wipe a stain on for contrast and chop away at em. I can find em in my area for 5 to 10 bucks. The final carving in cottonwood bark would be much cooler just a practice option for economy.

Robert Uresk

Reaction score
First name
rob
For cheap practice carvings, you might find ya a couple them afreeka masks that seem to live at the thrift stores. Smooth em with a grinder, wipe a stain on for contrast and chop away at em. I can find em in my area for 5 to 10 bucks. The final carving in cottonwood bark would be much cooler just a practice option for economy.
Good idea, I'll check some thrift stores out

BangleGuy

Reaction score
First name
Eric
So I didn’t want to be defeated by the cottonwood bark challenge and I ventured out to find some that was solid and BiG. Here we go! This slab is 6 feet long X 3 feet at the base and 16” through the middle. It weighs about 40 pounds and is really thick. This tree fell over 2 years ago and had not been dead much longer than 5 years.

380A8092-4D72-465E-AEA9-7B2FB1DE7371.jpeg 4C1FDD8E-04A4-4878-85B9-9CDB666B37EC.jpeg

Robert Uresk

Reaction score
First name
rob
So I didn’t want to be defeated by the cottonwood bark challenge and I ventured out to find some that was solid and BiG. Here we go! This slab is 6 feet long X 3 feet at the base and 16” through the middle. It weighs about 40 pounds and is really thick. This tree fell over 2 years ago and had not been dead much longer than 5 years.

View attachment 203723View attachment 203724
Wow that's awesome lol, how do we ship it hahaha 😆 do you think it will fit in one box

Last edited:

BangleGuy

Reaction score
First name
Eric
Wow that's awesome lol, how do we ship it hahaha 😆 do you think it will fit in one box
Well it would have to be a big box. This stuff is pretty thick, so I could cut a piece for a large FRB game board box (11 7/8 x 24). Same deal as before, $5 plus shipping. If you want bigger pieces and a large box, we can chat over PM. :drinks: Eric

ClintW

Reaction score
First name
Clinton
@Robert Uresk Here is some of what I was able to find at my parents. After looking a bit closer i think it is an enormous willow tree. Very similar in color and texture. Some has lichens growing all over it.

Let me know your thoughts. Can separate out and take some pics of the wider more unique pieces of you like.
I have maybe 35 lbs of it there in total. That's a big recycling tub, glove for size.

PXL_20210223_033839383.jpg

PXL_20210223_033848018.jpg

PXL_20210223_033852973.jpg

PXL_20210220_221745705.jpg

Robert Uresk

Reaction score
First name
rob
@Robert Uresk Here is some of what I was able to find at my parents. After looking a bit closer i think it is an enormous willow tree. Very similar in color and texture. Some has lichens growing all over it.

Let me know your thoughts. Can separate out and take some pics of the wider more unique pieces of you like.
I have maybe 35 lbs of it there in total. That's a big recycling tub, glove for size.

View attachment 203769

View attachment 203770

View attachment 203771

View attachment 203772
Hey thank you for looking into it, I'm not sure if willow bark is used for carving or has the carving ability that cottonwood bark does,
How thick is the willow bark?
Thank you for your time