• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Crack in my cement stairs

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
I just noticed that there is a crack in my cement stairs right where the railing post enters the stair. What product can I put in there before the winter freeze thaw?

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
OK here is an embarrassing question - How do I know if the steps are concrete or cement?

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
From what I understand, cement becomes concrete when it is mixed with a certain amount of sand and gravel..........Jerry (in Tucson)

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
pictures help. They are concrete. cement by itself is weak. brittle. It is the glue that holds it together. My guess is post is metal. probably expansion and contraction-freeze thaw with water has cracked it. Is post still solid. If so I would clean crack and pipe - caulk with caulk bonder. something flexible. something brittle will crack and will be another thing to clean out. Cement was my biz. so were sealants. If not solid- we definitely need pics.