Craftsman Table Saw Question

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
@Sprung suggested I move this here so more people can react:
I have a craftsman table saw, it was and is working fine EXCEPT for one little thing: The saw is a few degrees off 90 and the spiral thingy attached to the saw under belly that moves the saw came disconnected from the wheel. It is still attached to the wheel but not to the saw. It seems like an easy fix but not for me. Can you provide any help?
Here are some pix
20191007_134432.jpg 20191007_134447.jpg 20191007_134630.jpg 20191007_135145.jpg 20191007_135234.jpg 20191007_135407.jpg While checking today it seems straighter than it has been, and everything seems attached - But if I turn the angle wheel any more to get that last 1/16 the spiral bar will detach from the area where it attaches to the saw.
Any suggestions?
Thanks John

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
I'm no expert, but a couple of things to keep in mind:

* is your square actually square
* are you measuring blade to table or blade to insert
* I would think that there should be some type of pin or stop on the end of the drive screw
* (and you probably already know this) once you're sure it's square then you can adjust the pointer so it sits at zero if it's off a little bit

I know - not very helpful and I am far from the mechanical one in the group. Those are just things I'd check if it were me. Hopefully it's a little bit of help. If nothing else it's comic relief :)

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
John, somewhere on your saw will be a data plate (or probably a sticker on yours) that will have what specific model it is, will probably include serial number as well. Will probably be on the back, maybe on a side, not seeing it there on the front. Could you get a picture of that? Knowing the exact model and being able to look up a parts diagram could be helpful in figuring out what is going on.

Dmcoffman

Retired Rent-a-Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Don
Try this ... a couple of saws I've worked with are as follows, there should be two recessed screw stop adjustments on the top surface close to the blade insert, these are for the hard stops for the maximum travel. These should be Allen head screws slightly recessed in the table. The left one is the adjustment for the 90 deg stop, loosen it this should allow the adjustment needed. The other is for the 45 deg stop. These get covered in sawdust and hamper adjustments when clean they should be calibrated with accurate squares.

A previous Craftsman and my current Jet table saw were both configured this way..

Last edited:

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
You're welcome John...

Bottom of page 43 under the Trouble Shooting section, it leads you back to the page linked above. Instructions there should hopefully get you back in Square.

PROBLEM
Saw blade does not cut true at 90˚ or 45˚ positions.

TROUBLESHOOTING CAUSE
1. Indicators are not properly adjusted.
2. Positive stops inside base are not accurate.

SOLUTION
1. See Setting the Bevel Stops and Indicator in the Adjustments section.
2. See Setting the Bevel Stops and Indicator in the Adjustments section.

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gentlemen;
Rejoice with me for I have found that which was the problem.
In checking the set screws next to the blade I found the one on the left was missing. While cleaning a while ago, I recalled seeing a small bag with a note saying this was the 4mm set screw from the saw. I recall removing it some time ago, why, I have NO idea! Luckily I had the sense to label it. After screwing it in the proper place, a few adjustments, and presto, I'm at 90 degrees again. Ran some wood through and got 90.

Thank you all, for your advice and for saving me $$.
John