Cremation urns

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Guys, I need some information.....where can I buy the appropriate brass, or bronze fittings for an urn to contain cremains?

A local undertaker has asked me to make one, and in all the years I've been turning, I don't know where to start. There must
be suppliers out there somewhere.

Also, there is probably a formula for how large it should be, based on the weight, or size of the deceased....

Any help is appreciated...
Larry

Thanks,

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Here is a link, never used them, someone posted this a while ago and I saved it. I have heard the rule is 1 cubic inch per pound of body weight for the urn volume. I was talking to a funeral home guy a while ago and he said they didn't need threaded tops, they just glued the lid on after the ashes were installed. But different places may have different requirements....

edit; weird, I just looked at the link and they don't show the inserts now...:whatever: the guy has a facebook page though, maybe he can be contacted there....

Last edited:

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Its funny, while doing some genealogy research earlier in the week I came across this. Don't know if it is definitive or not, but who knows. Used to work across an alley from a crematorium. Lets just say we knew when they were doing business.

Volume & Size of Cremation Urns​

Two of the most important things about choosing an urn is the volume and size. The cremation urns capacity is measure in cubic inches. Calculating the volume needed is a simple process. For example, if an individual weighs 180 pounds at the time of cremation, they will require an urn 180 cubic inches or larger. Similarly, if a pet weighs 30 pounds at the time of cremation, they will require an urn 30 cubic inches or larger.

Knowing where an urn will be for final placement it is important to consider when purchasing a cremation urn. For example, when placing an urn in a niche or columbarium it is important to know the exact space available (length, width and height).

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is a link, never used them, someone posted this a while ago and I saved it. I have heard the rule is 1 cubic inch per pound of body weight for the urn volume. I was talking to a funeral home guy a while ago and he said they didn't need threaded tops, they just glued the lid on after the ashes were installed. But different places may have different requirements....

edit; weird, I just looked at the link and they don't show the inserts now...:whatever: the guy has a facebook page though, maybe he can be contacted there....
Thanks Barry, ill check it out

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Its funny, while doing some genealogy research earlier in the week I came across this. Don't know if it is definitive or not, but who knows. Used to work across an alley from a crematorium. Lets just say we knew when they were doing business.

Volume & Size of Cremation Urns​

Two of the most important things about choosing an urn is the volume and size. The cremation urns capacity is measure in cubic inches. Calculating the volume needed is a simple process. For example, if an individual weighs 180 pounds at the time of cremation, they will require an urn 180 cubic inches or larger. Similarly, if a pet weighs 30 pounds at the time of cremation, they will require an urn 30 cubic inches or larger.

Knowing where an urn will be for final placement it is important to consider when purchasing a cremation urn. For example, when placing an urn in a niche or columbarium it is important to know the exact space available (length, width and height).
Interesting, this will be a new "adventure, I'll keep y'all posted as it progresses.
Larry

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Theres aguy on youtube who has great info on urns. I think his name is wyoming woodturner....be right back...

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
This guy....

Good info. I like his videos...

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I just looked around for about half hour. Wth...I dont see anything other than plastic plumbing fittings.

The link Barry showed says sold out, because he has cancer and is going through chemo treatment.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I just looked around for about half hour. Wth...I dont see anything other than plastic plumbing fittings.

The link Barry showed says sold out, because he has cancer and is going through chemo treatment.
There are brass fittings but they are pricey. You have to look on a large (very large) plumbing supply website... I think they started at 15 bucks so.

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Just realized I was looking at the wrong section. "Sink baskets" and "shower drains" come in polished brass with lock nuts... 30 to 50 per se/ for the really nice ones. May come cheaper...
Good idea, there's a large plumbing supply business in Pensacola, I'll check with them, thanks.

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
I've read where several people use threaded pvc and cut the fittings down to the size they need.
I think that would work, and those fittings are fairly inexpensive.....i guess a trip to Lowe's may happen today..
thanks

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Larry, have you thought about threading them yourself? I've never done it so I can't speak personally but I've seen many demos and videos on it. Might be worth trying.

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Larry, have you thought about threading them yourself? I've never done it so I can't speak personally but I've seen many demos and videos on it. Might be worth trying.
I did think of that, and may end up learning how to do the threading process. Beall has some threading tooling, and I don't think it's
all that expensive. I like the idea, as it would improve the appearance of the urn. The PVC idea discussed earlier may have some
possibilities if I can figure out a way to "hide" the PVC in the opening....

Thanks
Larry

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I did think of that, and may end up learning how to do the threading process. Beall has some threading tooling, and I don't think it's
all that expensive. I like the idea, as it would improve the appearance of the urn. The PVC idea discussed earlier may have some
possibilities if I can figure out a way to "hide" the PVC in the opening....

Thanks
Larry

This is a friend of mine, Tod Raines using a Carter & Sons thread chaser. It looks fairly easy to use. I can get you in touch with him if you'd like, I'm sure he would be happy to answer questions.