Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Crystalac Wood Grain Filler

Discussion in 'Veneering' started by chicago, May 24, 2015.

1. chicago

chicago Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Phillip
    I have used this filler on walnut and it worked very well.

crystalac-wood-grain-filler.jpg

It is not a 'miracle one application' filler, but it dries clear and is durable. Here are links to more info:

"This stuff is CRYSTALAC Clear Waterborne Wood Grain Filler. Apply it and rub it off before it dries. It is not as nasty looking as the oil based stuff. It is colorless. Sand it out to the same grit you have sanded the wood to. It will not change the color of the wood at all. If you stain after this using TRANSTINT, put the TRANSTINT in alcohol. After it dries sand it down and finish it. This stuff is better to me...the oil based stuff is dark and nasty looking."
    (you have to scroll down to find this info on the above page or just do a Find for Crystalac and that should take to this info. Lots of other info on the page as well.)

Amazon Reviews
    (You gotta watch out for Amazon rip offs: The first 'choice' is usually the most expensive. In this case your first choice is Rockler - $31.49 + $7.99 s/h = $39.48. If you select the '4 new from $24.50' link, you will be able to order it from the Crystalac company for - $24.50 + $5.99 s/h = $30.49. Which would you choose? Thought so.:old:)

Anyway, someone may want to check this filler out. I also tried to find the info on the manufacturer, but could not.

Gracie!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Alex Lane

Alex Lane Member Full Member

First name:
    Alex
    Good stuff! I used this filler on a burl maple table top and went directly from grain filler to aquazar and got a really cloudy looking finish. Sanded off the aquazar and applied zinsser seal coat shellac before reapplying aquazar. Now it looks amazing with that great chattoyance :ok:

3. Alex Lane

Alex Lane Member Full Member

First name:
    Alex
    Just googled them and they have a surprisingly large product line. Linky
    They currently charge $27 for a quart. And free shipping on orders over $25!

Current Time: 4:46 PM