Cupcake tree

tomwilson74

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Anyone ever make a cupcake tree for a wedding? I am in the process of making one for my daughter. Can’t decide if I want to make it to be able to be disassembled or not. How would you fasten each platform to the spindles? Dowels, threaded inserts, glue...?
If it is put together to be permanent, would there be a concern about the platforms warping?? I have the walnut boards glued up for it already.
I found this picture online for reference.

D2513A60-21C4-41A7-8BE1-AEB810A627E1.png

Last edited:

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
The ones I see usually have the column pieces double studded, and the table rounds just have a hole, so that they can be dissembled, transported and stored easily. Don't recall seeing an insert in the table rounds, but did see black felt on the ends of the double studded column pieces. So think they were course threaded.

The other ones I've seen are more complicated, have a continuous center column with coat-rack like arms that hold 15-20 cupcakes on the lower arms, and fewer cupcakes as you ascend. The arms start part way up and are staggered like a hardwood tree versus evergreen. Some have a small table round on top for the bride and groom's cupcakes, or wedding cake topper, some just have a protruding stem standing above the other side "branches". The few I saw, only one was set for dismantling. The "branches were slightly angled (maybe 20 degrees) so gravity helped hold them, the ends were cut as a rectangular peg to fit the rectangular hole on the main stem. The lower branches were interchangeable, but not with the next ones up. I'll see if I can get some pictures, but don't have any wedding shuttles scheduled until summer...

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
The ones like pictured usually are assembled similar to the cheap corner shelves that were popular in the 80s. Like he said double ended studs.
I would make it to disassemble for ease of transport and future storage.