Curly Ash

Ken Martin

Reaction score
First name
Ken
It’s been a very eventful year for my wife and I. We started chasing her rabbit back in January. That took us to New Orleans, to Ochshner’s Clinic, by May, where we discovered that she needed a new heart valve.

Never one to waste an opportunity, we went by Riverside Lumber after one of her appointments. While there, I found a very curly 8/4 x 12” ash board and it wanted a ride home with us! So far, I’ve only made a couple of bowls from it. The first one is an ogee that would make a great church offering plate, but I thought it was still a very pretty piece of wood.

...and the second one is a simple shallow bowl

1A9DB9F9-8C93-4FE1-9EED-BC5F9E74A0E9.jpeg

BFBB2350-CA85-4F87-AB93-6E95F6E4FB8B.jpeg

C7A07C42-B9F7-4FBF-A27E-1725E6AA565D.jpeg

Last edited:

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
Both are gorgeous,I don’t know how to describe the middle picture other than WOW!!

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
wow, both are beautiful but that shallow bowl is simply stunning. The way the grain flows across the bowl. That's a keeper for sure, unless you sell your bowls then charge double for that one.

Ken Martin

Reaction score
First name
Ken
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
very nice- Hope all is well with wife.
She’s doing very well, thanks for asking. Y’all don’t know it, because I didn’t say anything, but I just had both of my knees replaced (medial partials) about 2 weeks ago. Got the staples out Monday and I’m at PT again right now and it feels much better without them. Maybe I can get back in the shop before Christmas!:thanx2:

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Nicely done! Glad to hear you and your better half are on the mend!