Curly / Figured 4/4 Genuine Mahogany

goosefoot33

Reaction score
First name
Nate
Six boards available, all 7’ in length. These were cut in Guatemala from the same logging plot, so they are very similar in color, texture, and weight. Scientific name Swietenia macrophylla.
All have light to moderate tight curl, that really comes alive when finished. They would pop even more if you went with a darker stain. The dark spots in the pictures are areas I applied mineral spirits. Since they are flatsawn, the figure is lighter in the center on some of the boards and most prominent on the edges.
They range in width from 5-1/2” to 7”, and are 13/16”-15/16” in thickness. I planed them just enough to clean up the faces, so they are not consistent in thickness. If buying more than one, I can plane to equalize the thicknesses.
Price is $25/BF. I've previously sold pieces from this same batch for $30/BF. These pieces pictured are slightly above average compared to those sold in the past. I am located near Worcester, MA (45 minutes west of Boston, for those unfamiliar). I can cut to length, but UPS and Fedex accept packages up to 8’ or 9’, so they can be shipped as-is.
If interested in close-ups of a particular board please let me know. Thanks, Nate

IMG_3302.JPG

IMG_3304.JPG

IMG_3306.JPG

IMG_3308.JPG

IMG_3310.JPG

IMG_3311.JPG

IMG_3313.JPG

IMG_3314.JPG

IMG_3315.JPG

IMG_3316.JPG

goosefoot33

Reaction score
First name
Nate
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any interest in these? The rest of my inventory is similar to this except in other species - curly/figured boards, mostly 4/4. I have some much wider boards as well, but I am OK with cutting/ripping as needed to lower the shipping rates.

goosefoot33

Reaction score
First name
Nate
@wood128 Joe, pretty much all of my inventory is imported. I have a piece of curly Peruvian Walnut (AKA Nogal), that is in the Juglans family. That is the closest I have to anything domestic. It measures 7" x 9', and has a nice consistent wider curl throughout. Consistent color too - no sapwood. Let me know if you're interested and I can make a new post for you tomorrow morning. Thanks

goosefoot33

Reaction score
First name
Nate
I’ll get to work on that! Supposed to snow tomorrow, hopefully I can extract it from the stash and get some pictures before things get too messy.

goosefoot33

Reaction score
First name
Nate
@Foot Patrol Scott, I do not have any 5/4 or 6/4 Curly Mahogany. I do have some really nice 6/4 Curly Spanish Cedar (S2S @ 1-3/8"). I have a few pictures of it - I will make a post for you to check out.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
@Foot Patrol Scott, I do not have any 5/4 or 6/4 Curly Mahogany. I do have some really nice 6/4 Curly Spanish Cedar (S2S @ 1-3/8"). I have a few pictures of it - I will make a post for you to check out.

Following in Wayne fashion, “Man let’s see pics :foto:“. You know this is WoodBarter and you did get the “memo”:deal:,- you can’t just talk about it and if you do, you have to put out :nodice:. Plus, the wood addicts here (including myself) need a quick fix, until some other addict puts up some eye candy in a different thread:wacko: . You know the drill........hurry up and post some :foto::foto:!

Last edited:

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Everyone has interest, most have desire, but necessity plays in as does economics. The Mahogany looks cool, like feather curl on a few. Also looks to have some grey stain. Is that sapwood? I also think it is great you know where it was cut. I'd only be looking for reference sample material, less than worth your time. Likewise with the curly Spanish cedar and Nogal. Good luck.

goosefoot33

Reaction score
First name
Nate
Mark, yes there are a few pieces with sapwood on the side. The sapwood does have gray streaking/staining, as it is the most susceptible to it after cutting.
I can appreciate the desire for sample material - my library is always growing! I've focused on acquiring exotics over the years, as I have read about species once plentiful that are either no longer available, or at the least very expensive (Cuban Mahogany, Gaboon Ebony, etc.). The dalbergias are following suit unfortunately, with the demand in China for high-end exotics. Not only is it pushing North American buyers/importers out, it is incredibly damaging to the ecosystem and local economy in the country of origin.

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
Mark, yes there are a few pieces with sapwood on the side. The sapwood does have gray streaking/staining, as it is the most susceptible to it after cutting.
I can appreciate the desire for sample material - my library is always growing! I've focused on acquiring exotics over the years, as I have read about species once plentiful that are either no longer available, or at the least very expensive (Cuban Mahogany, Gaboon Ebony, etc.). The dalbergias are following suit unfortunately, with the demand in China for high-end exotics. Not only is it pushing North American buyers/importers out, it is incredibly damaging to the ecosystem and local economy in the country of origin.

Seeing that this species was greatly over harvested and have been used in large numbers in building industries which puts it on Appendix III. I was always a little puzzled in how they wrote up the rules and regulations for exporting and importing this material after it went into effect on January 15, 1992. You cannot ship lumber outside of the border not unless you have a passport and documentation showing that is was harvested legally within the ruling date, however there is a “loose noose” where say a finish instrument could be shipped internationally or outside of the border.

goosefoot33

Reaction score
First name
Nate
I think they wised up quickly to the "finished goods" loophole. If you jump on the woodwinds or guitar forums, you'll hear about fairly high profile musicians who had their instruments held at border crossings until they could furnish appropriate CITES paperwork that pleased the officials. These were well-paid and respected musicians traveling to numerous countries with their high-value instruments, often irreplaceable. I recall one incident where an 18th century violin or similar was taken into custody and was very close to being destroyed due to lack of paperwork for the Ebony / Rosewood on the neck.
Then again, in some of these instances, maybe the "officials" were looking for some "paperwork" from your wallet to release the "offending item" on the spot :deal:

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
I think they wised up quickly to the "finished goods" loophole. If you jump on the woodwinds or guitar forums, you'll hear about fairly high profile musicians who had their instruments held at border crossings until they could furnish appropriate CITES paperwork that pleased the officials. These were well-paid and respected musicians traveling to numerous countries with their high-value instruments, often irreplaceable. I recall one incident where an 18th century violin or similar was taken into custody and was very close to being destroyed due to lack of paperwork for the Ebony / Rosewood on the neck.
Then again, in some of these instances, maybe the "officials" were looking for some "paperwork" from your wallet to release the "offending item" on the spot :deal:

Very aware of everything that you mentioned above. If someone here is using ebony to manufacture and sell overseas, you have to have documentation that shows it does not come from Madagascar (which is CITES listed, Appendix II)- so any Gabon or Nigerian or any diospyros species will be highly suspect. One of the other things that most people are “not in touch with” is employing shellfish into their builds as inlays- that is abalone, mother of pearl, paua, etc. Those need documentation when shippingor crossing internationally especially on guitars (usually on fretboards, purflings, violin bows, etc.).

Last edited:

goosefoot33

Reaction score
First name
Nate
Two of these boards were sold to a local guitar maker. I still have four available, and am willing to cut in half/sections in order to ship out.

goosefoot33

Reaction score
First name
Nate
@Mr. Peet Mark, just sent you a PM. Shipping rates are not bad since Mahogany is fairly light. If the boards are cut in half, rates go down about 40%.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Nate had some decent shipping rates, but after my earlier shipping screw-up to Barb, I asked Nate if I could purchase just a portion of a curly Mahogany board and portion from the Nogel from another thread. I am mailing payment today.

Thank you Nate.

goosefoot33

Reaction score
First name
Nate
Mark is getting a nice mix of species, all cut to fit in a FRB2 box. In addition to this Genuine Mahogany, I have Peruvian Walnut/Nogal, Niangon, Bilinga, and Red Loro in the box. Thank you Mark!

IMG_9940[1].JPG