Custom Arrow Fletching

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
Thought ya'll would find this interesting. Not sure this is the proper forum for it but I'm sure the mods will let me know.

My son wanted to make custom arrows for use with his recurve bow. He purchased all the components from Three Rivers Archery; carbon shafts of a specific weight/flex, weighted threaded inserts for the tips, etc and used turkey feathers to make the fletchings himself. Once mounted they need to be trimmed as uniformly as possible. Since he was doing two dozen of them, we made this hot wire set up to trim them to the shape & size he wanted. Very good results. Nice accurate arrows & he learned some new skills.

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Very nice. I’ve fletched a bunch of arrows for my compound bow but never with real feathers.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
When I used to bow hunt I fletched all my own arrows, both plastic and natural feather. I would use the plastic if it rained and the feathers when it was dry. I also dipped the ends of my arrow shafts in white and used chartreuse nocks so I could see them sticking in the ground from the tree stand after they passed through the deer.
Maybe a little overkill but I enjoyed doing it and they worked really well. And they looked cool in my quiver too.

Last edited:

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I used to bow hunt I fletched all my own arrows, both plastic and natural feather. I would use the plastic if it rained and the feathers when it was dry. I also dipped the ends of my arrow shafts in white and used chartreuse nocks so I could see them sticking in the ground from the tree stand after they passed through the deer.
Maybe a little overkill but I enjoyed doing it and they worked really well. And they looked cool in my quiver too.
These days they have all kinds of glow in the dark nocks even have some with flashing led lights inside. I'm more than willing to trade an arrow for a freezer full of venison though.

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
Man, I bet that stunk something fierce! Very cool though, and brilliant simple setup to ensure consistency!

what is your broadhead of choice?

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Man, I bet that stunk something fierce! Very cool though, and brilliant simple setup to ensure consistency!

what is your broadhead of choice?
I've not yet bowhunted. I much prefer my rifles but with the world losing it's mind and all things uncertain in the future, I'm keeping options open. Bow does add another season to the potential freezer filling so it's always a possibility but right now just trying to put together a proper kit and tune the skills.
My point of reference is pretty small regarding broadheads. Did just pick up these Bearpaw Jager Broadheads. Out of the box they need a proper sharpening and I'm not completely thrilled with the steel but they fly well.
44045x_alt_2.jpg

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
I've not yet bowhunted. I much prefer my rifles but with the world losing it's mind and all things uncertain in the future, I'm keeping options open. Bow does add another season to the potential freezer filling so it's always a possibility but right now just trying to put together a proper kit and tune the skills.
My point of reference is pretty small regarding broadheads. Did just pick up these Bearpaw Jager Broadheads. Out of the box they need a proper sharpening and I'm not completely thrilled with the steel but they fly well.
View attachment 217099
I still shoot the 4 blade Muzzy’s but I’ll have to check this one out. How do they shoot compared to your field points?

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I always shot thunder head 125's. They blow right through the rib bones and sting in the ground on the exit side. Blades came razor sharp and are replaceable. And they flew exactly the same as my practice tips. But I don't even know if they are still being made.

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
I always shot thunder head 125's. They blow right through the rib bones and sting in the ground on the exit side. Blades came razor sharp and are replaceable. And they flew exactly the same as my practice tips. But I don't even know if they are still being made.
Flying the same as my field points is always my biggest concern with broadheads.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I just Google em, they still make em. 1 tough broadhead that hits hard and flies true.

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
I took one with a muzzy last year… clean pass through. Decided to try out some other broadheads this year to see which flies closest to my field points. I’m trying out Rage hypodermics and Slick Trick magnums.