Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Custom diy collet jaws

Discussion in 'General Woodturning Discussion' started by TimR, Jul 10, 2019.

1. TimR

TimR Sawdust Engineer Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Tim
    I needed a size of one of these to hold a piece of banksia pod for a peppermill I’m working on. They work great and add a little extra meat over typical jam chucks. Also, they allow holding the piece without marring the surface from chuck jaws.
    I start with a piece of poplar scrap, about a half inch thick and about a half inch bigger or so in outside diameter to what I want to hold.
    02E05765-50FA-4A34-894F-B8D6487E2D44.jpeg
    In this example, 1-1/2” is what I want to hold.
    I drill that first hole about 1/4” deep but that can vary with size of your tenon you want to grip.
    004F5FDC-C57F-4A6A-AA9C-369A4A06596A.jpeg
    I follow with a 1-1/4” hole thru.
    E530F3D0-4CF0-4B6E-BA58-D7E9B4AE3682.jpeg
    Note that I have marked where this piece of wood aligns in my chuck. I do this anytime I’m going to rechuck something to maintain good centering.
    4C5C06CF-90B3-44A3-830C-1F1E322CED04.jpeg
    Mark a location to cut the piece between jaws, this gives room to clamp.
    DCC93809-6606-43C7-B1FF-01B8CFBDEBA9.jpeg
    Cut a slit and put back on chuck.
    F5361855-C3EE-49B0-A264-C4E1BA5DA4B8.jpeg 0F2C8E1A-4DCB-4DB7-A22C-379ADAD4E4F5.jpeg
    Note that if you need more grip you could open the slit a little but the more you open it up or have to stretch the collet to get over the tenon increases the likelihood of losing good centering.

• Way Cool x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Useful x 1
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  2. Graybeard

Graybeard Member Full Member

First name:
    David
    Thanks so much, certainly much cheaper than buying soft jaws from Nova or whoever. I like too you can make them in different sizes for different projects. I'm definitely bookmarking this. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

3. Nubsnstubs

Nubsnstubs Where is it??? Full Member

First name:
    Jerry
    I've made one of these once. I used it, put it in a place I would instantly remember, and then, the black hole near my lathe appeared. You all know what that means
    Since I have a bunch of chucks with jaws that the sizes all match up to the next size, I usually just went with the next size chuck. Today, reading this thread again, I was slapped across the side of my head with an epiphany. I'm drilling out those Cholla Tea Lights with a Forstner bit. Now, I'll make myself another one of these soft jaws, and when I punch through, I'll be into wood rather a set of jaws. Thanks for posting this. .......... Jerry (in Tucson)

• Like Like x 2
  4. DKMD

DKMD Sawbones Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    David
    Nifty idea! Thanks for sharing it.

5. Mike Mills

Mike Mills Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    Looks good. Here is a pic which Stuart Ablett posted about 10 years ago. He used thick (1/2") cutting board from the dollar store but a 12"X24" sheet of HDPE is only about $18 on Amazon. I believe Stuart said he roughed it up with 80 grit to give it more bite and he did cut a slot in it for compression.
    Wood works just as good but the HDPE may be more durable.

Stuart Ablett.JPG

• Like Like x 2
Current Time: 11:09 PM