dalbergia maritima--Bois de Rose (The real one)

Steve Smith

Reaction score
First name
Steve
I bought a stick of MRW probably close to 20 years ago. It was pretty then turned almost black within weeks. I still have a very small piece of that gathering dust. I decided I wasn't interested in buying any more and that dalbergia congestiflora is better based on cost, availability (though still very limited) and color change.

barefoot

Reaction score
First name
Carla
Carla, I moved this here so people can comment, maybe suggest a finish. That is one incredible piece of wood!!!! Tony
Thank you Tony! Much appreciated.
BTW, here's a picture I took of the wood last night (using flash). I managed to find a date when I bought it--earlier than I had though--September, 2004. Also, don't know were that prior measurement came from. It's 60" x 10" x 2" and 37.4#. I wiped it down with a damp rag, but it could use a better cleaning. Note that there's a split on the bottom and a shorter one on the top--storage screwup, long story, mea culpa. Using the uncracked middle, though, I think a number of guitar sets could be made out of it. I was pleased that it still has a lot of its color. A couple passes with a cabinet scraper would spiff it up nicely, IMO.

bois de rose full 2.JPG

Last edited: