Deck Stain Suggestions

Majkrbx

Reaction score
First name
Ljkara
Was wondering if anyone on this forum had any suggestions for deck stains? I live in Iowa so the weather is pretty hard on the deck. We just had our deck built last July and i'm planning on applying a blue wood stain in the next few weeks. The deck is a pressure treated pine that faces east. Since this is a new deck I'd like to start out with a good quality stain that will last at least 2 years.
Would really appreciate any suggestions, or experiences you've had.

Last edited:

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
It's been a few years, but when I had a wood deck I used the Consumer Reports tests for stain.

I forget which one they recommended back then, but current top score in Solid Wood Stains category is "Behr Premium Solid Color Waterproofing Stain and Sealer" (Home Depot).

Runner-up is "Olympic Elite Advanced Stain + Sealant in One Solid"

None of the semi-transparent or clear varieties come anywhere near the performance of the solid color stains.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
All the best results I have seen came with an oil based stain. Latex based stains tend to sit on top of the wood which can work on a sidewall application but scuffs off too easily to suit me as a floor finish. I don't stain many decks. In our market most customers are using recycled baby diapers . (Sorry, to clarify, that would be termed composite). It requires support every 12 inches, specialty fasteners, and shoes at all time because it will either freeze your feet or blister them. Doesn't seem to be a happy medium.
I used Olympic with decent results in the past but that has been 10 years or so. Not sure what they may have done to the formulation since.
What ever you choose, please avoid Thompson water seal. It is mainly a wax and should be reapplied yearly to maintain any kind of great protection.

GS-76

Reaction score
First name
Gary
We use Sherwin Williams Superdeck stain. Available in many colors and is more like paint but is very durable. Great stuff.

eaglea1

Call Maker, Sign Engraver, Resin Caster
Reaction score
First name
Randy