Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Delta Rockwell 11" wood lathe

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Blaine Josey, May 20, 2019.

1. Blaine Josey

Blaine Josey Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Robert
    Hello everyone!
    I am thoroughly searching the internet looking for information "Light Machine Oil" for my headstock on my Delta Rockwell 11" wood lathe. The instructions that I have found all refer to "Light Machine Oil." My headstock bearings look great considering their age (made 1947). The bearings are two-piece Timken tapered bearings (see images Timken 07098 Roller Cone and 07204 Cup).
    Does anyone know what would be the best machine oil to use on this machine?
    FYI: I have read a few heated discussions on other forums, and I do not wish to start a heated discussion; I would like some helpful information. I plan on restoring the lathe to its original condition as best as I can.

Timken 07098 Single Cone Roller Bearing.JPG

Timken 07204 Single Cup Roller Bearing.JPG

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  2. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    Robert, Welcome from San Antonio! I'm sure you can find all kinds of answers here, maybe @Schroedc or @woodtickgreg could answer. Tony

• Like Like x 1
  3. Eric Rorabaugh

Eric Rorabaugh Member Full Member

First name:
    Eric
    Welcome from Virginia

• Like Like x 1
  4. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Greg
    This is one of those questions like what is the best finish. Oil has come a long way over the years and each is now formulated to do a specific thing. Light machine oil is a free flowing oil, like 3 n 1. But that may not be the correct oil for those bearings. I would call a local bearing supplier or Timken direct for their advice. I use 4 different oils for my southbend machine lathe, each does a different thing. Timken bearings are high quality and close tolerance sp you want to use the correct oil. If you can get the number off the bearing I would just call Timken ot a bearing supplier that sells them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blaine Josey

First name:
    Robert
    Thank you for the Welcome. It will take me some time to get used to this site. I like the rules and so far how many peoplehave responded so quickly.
    Many thanks to all! :-)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blaine Josey

First name:
    Robert
    Thank you Eric!

7. Blaine Josey

First name:
    Robert
    woodtickgreg, many thanks for the information. It is exactly the kind of information that I needed to hear. I would hate to destroy these bearings by my ignorance. I am ashamed that I had not thought about looking at the bearings for numbers and then contacting Timken or a local bearing dealer.

Many thanks to all.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lou Currier

Lou Currier Member Full Member

First name:
    Lou
    :hi3: from Central Florida...you won’t find heated conversations here but you might find a ribbing :taunt: or two.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. David Hill

David Hill I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite. Full Member

Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
    First name:
    David
    Welcome from the Cuero area!
    Bearing info as above---might also give thought to Grainger--they're all over the state.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Nature Man

Nature Man Member Full Member

First name:
    Chuck
    Welcome from California! Glad you joined with a question! The experts will chime in as time permits. Do you enjoy flat work in addition to turnings? Chuck

• Like Like x 1
  11. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Welcome to Wood Barter Robert.

I'd second Greg's suggestion up there, shoot the folks at Timken an e-mail. Explain the application, give them the bearing number, and tell them what you've found for oil recommendations. Then ask for their input on oil, given 40+ years of improvements in lubricants.

Whatever you use, you don't want to over do it oiling, as excessive oiling will collect more dust, dirt, and grime.

12. Wildthings

Wildthings ASTROS 2017 WORLD CHAMPIONS Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    Robert, Welcome from Gulf Coast of Texas!!

13. Karl_TN

Karl_TN Member Full Member

First name:
    Karl
    Welcome from West TN.

I'm surprised lightweight oil would be recommended for tapered roller bearings since this could quickly dissipate or leak away which would leave the bearing without any lubrication. It's my understanding that 80 to 90% of tapered roller bearings are lubricated with grease (oil with thickeners & other additives) for reasons like this. Oil lubrication is normally used for high-speed situations because it's lower viscosity has less friction than grease. I'm curious to know what Timken recomends when you contact them.

Btw, if you're wanting a clear synthetic grease suggestion then try this one: Tri-Flow TF23004 Clear Synthetic Grease

14. Sprung

Sprung Amateur Sawdust Maker Full Member

First name:
    Matt
    Welcome.

I have a Delta 24" Scroll Saw (vintage 1938/1939) that I recently restored - and my bearings were in the same condition as you describe yours as being; mine showed no signs of wear, even though the machine was certainly used. It uses Timken bearings. From my research, I found that a 30 weight non-detergent oil was the best choice. Can usually he had in the non-detergent form in the lawnmower/outdoor power tool section of the store.

As far as Karl's concern over a lightweight oil being a concern, as long as at least part of the bearing is partially submerged in oil, as the bearing spins, it'll be constantly going through and picking up the oil, so I wouldn't be afraid of it, if that's what's recommended. I certainly would not grease the bearings, unless that is what is recommended, which grease is never mentioned in the manual for your lathe.

Contacting Timken for their recommendation would be a good idea. But, if it were me, I wouldn't be afraid to use either a 30 weight oil or 3-in-1, realizing that while they are different from each other, both will probably work just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blaine Josey

First name:
    Robert
    I have done mostly flat work. I am adventurous to try different things no matter the difficulty. I went to look at and possibly purchase a delta bandsaw, the owner offered the lathe. I paid $200 for both tools, they both work and TLC. I got the lathe and a couple of gouges for $50. I like the idea of using old tools.

• Like Like x 2
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  16. Blaine Josey

First name:
    Robert
    Thank you, the instructions that I found on vintagemachinery.org for the lathe stated "light machine oil," and that I should use a few drops of oil every 10 to 15 working hours. When in doubt, remove the oil level plug (a flat head screw on the side of the headstock) to see that the oil level is neither too high nor too low. The instructions do not say anything about grease.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blaine Josey

First name:
    Robert
    I am very thankful for the information and the quick responses from everyone. I cannot thank you all enough for the advice, which is difficult to come by.
    As soon as I can, I will be removing the spindle from the headstock and recording the numbers on the Timken Bearings. Karl_TN, I grew up working under the hood with my dad. Not that we were mechanics, but grew up working on our own vehicles as a way to save money. All the bearings that I have come in contact with have had to be packed with grease; except sealed bearings, of course. So this "light machine oil" threw me for a loop, to say the least.
    After reading several blogs before landing here on this site, there were some very strong opinions and heated discussions (I am being very polite) about what to use.
    I am anxious to get started restoring and working with my tools again.

18. Karl_TN

Karl_TN Member Full Member

First name:
    Karl
    Robert, I didn't realize your lathe had an oil level so the machine oil recommendation makes sense now. Post a pic of your lathe when you have time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blaine Josey

First name:
    Robert
    Karl_TN, here is the photo of the headstock to my Delta Milwaukee Homecraft Model 46-230 wood lathe. The screw above the Homecraft Delta Milwaukee badge is the "Oil Plug" mentioned in the instructions (snipped image - Lube Directions.JPG)

My - Delta Rockwell Model 46-230 Lathe.jpg

Lube - Directions.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    Howdy Robert,welcome to the club....
    There's a timken building 20 minutes from me. I always wondered what they made....

Current Time: 6:55 AM