Desert Ironwood Logs

vonaltenhofen

Reaction score
First name
Richard
Two desert ironwood log sections for your consideration. Both are from Mexico and the sapwood has been chopped off. The Big One (first 4 photos) measured 10" length by 3" high. Weighs 6.8 lbs. It shows a little heart shake, typical for ironwood. I thought this would make a great "natural" edge bowl. The Little One measures 6" long and 4" high to about 2 1/2" high. Weighs 3 lbs. It has heart shake right down the middle. Together you get 9.8 lbs of ironwood. The two fit in a large flat rate box. $75 for both. I pay the shipping in U.S.

DSCF5654.JPG

DSCF5655.JPG

DSCF5656.JPG

DSCF5657.JPG

DSCF5658.JPG

DSCF5659.JPG

DSCF5660.JPG

DSCF5661.JPG

DSCF5662.JPG

davis upchurch

Furniture maker, hobbyist turner, etc. :)
Reaction score
First name
Davis
A quick tip: I have several desert ironwood logs, and the color is better preserved. These are rough, which is typical, but I highly recommend applying 5-10 layers of Tung oil on the end grain and sides (since you split some.) It wouldn't hurt to dip all of them in Tung oil LOL. This really locks in the color and prevents the oxidation, causing the black coloration. It also helps with the pith splitting. I've found this out over air drying these logs for 10+ years, so I hope this helps.

Otherwise, mad cool billets man!

davis upchurch

Furniture maker, hobbyist turner, etc. :)
Reaction score
First name
Davis
A quick tip: I have several desert ironwood logs, and the color is better preserved. These are rough, which is typical, but I highly recommend applying 5-10 layers of Tung oil on the end grain and sides (since you split some.) It wouldn't hurt to dip all of them in Tung oil LOL. This really locks in the color and prevents the oxidation, causing the black coloration. It also helps with the pith splitting. I've found this out over air drying these logs for 10+ years, so I hope this helps.

Otherwise, mad cool billets man!

Also, a quick sanding of these billets (while it's going to tear up your saw) and then adding the Tung oil will really bring out the grain and original color. You can easily remove the oxidation, and if you post pics like that, I bet they'll sell super fast! Also, $75 is low. I'd bet you can get more out of them, check eBay for comparable ones. Usually, a good place to start.

Davis