• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

DeWalt 18v XRP Hammer Drill

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Yesterday my 18v DeWalt XRP hammer drill had a big puff of smoke come out of it and got too hot to hold. Battery was also too hot. Separated the two, and let lay outside to cool. Tried the battery later and it worked fine in other tools. This morning, hammer drill worked again but made some odd grinding noises.

Want to replace with the same. See it on Home Depot site for $110. but can't click on it to order. Any you folks have suppliers in your area that might have a few leftovers? Local flea-bay and Craig's show only really abused looking used stuff. I have batteries, so don't need any more.

If I strike out on the 18v unit, I do have a 20v and a 60v flex battery I could use on a 20v replacement unit...

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
You can also get an adapter to run the new batteries on the old 18 volt tools.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
You can also get an adapter to run the new batteries on the old 18 volt tools.
I have one. I had to cut off the two tabs that stick out. They are blockers to stop you from using anything bigger than a 20v battery. Makes sense as bigger will fry an 18v tool. I did it because then I can use a larger flex volt battery. Usually only use it on the impact but have on the skill saw as well.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I hear that dewalt calling their batteries 20 volt is just a marketing ploy, they are actually 18 volt. This is why you can use an adapter to run the new Batts in the old equipment. I'm looking at getting a new drill and impact driver kit with the new 20v batteries, ill be getting an adapter so I can keep all my old dewalt 18v stuff which still works.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I hear that dewalt calling their batteries 20 volt is just a marketing ploy, they are actually 18 volt. This is why you can use an adapter to run the new Batts in the old equipment. I'm looking at getting a new drill and impact driver kit with the new 20v batteries, ill be getting an adapter so I can keep all my old dewalt 18v stuff which still works.
I did that a few years ago and ended up trading those two out, one for an 18v impact, the other for cash and I kept the batteries, 20v squat 2 amp hour and a 60v flex. Brother has used the adapter for maybe 4 years so far without issue, but like me, cut those tabs to use the flex volt batteries.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I do not know anything about that but they have much better batteries. have sawzall Impact and drill. also grease gun. Light powerfull and long lasting

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I do not know anything about that but they have much better batteries. have sawzall Impact and drill. also grease gun. Light powerfull and long lasting
Yup I agree with ya Mike. Love my dewalt stuff.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Did you ever locate a replacement? Chuck
No, I did not, but had a spare 20V unit, so decided I have enough.

@woodtickgreg

I've taken a DeWalt 20V ni-cad apart and added the series up. That battery worked out to 20v, each battery was labeled from the manufacturer with stats, only did one 20v. Did it to several 18V and they all were 18v totaled.

Last edited: