DeWalt 734 problem

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
I just took out the brushes. I can’t tell if they are worn or not but they were so hot, I couldn’t hold on to them.
This could also be a result of the motor r not getting the amperage necessary. Does it heat up if you run it under no load?

Last edited:

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
Just an example as I’m not sure of the actual numbers. If it’s on a 20 amp breaker and your dust collector is pulling 10 amps, the planer under no load might draw 8 to 10. At this point everything is fine. Under load, the planer might want 15 amps, but only has 10 amps to draw. The motor will over heat and shut down.

tomwilson74

Reaction score
First name
Tom
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mystery solved!! I recently got into mixing two part epoxy to fill voids and cracks in wood. Just an accent thing. Note to self: Don’t run epoxy thru your planer! I put the new blades in on the 18th, they are shot. I had not thought about the damage epoxy could do, guess I’m sanding it down flush from now on. I surely appreciate all you guys trying to help me out, I fell like an idiot! Here is a picture of one of the blades, I-phone picture but you can still see the damage. It’s right in front of the “G” triangle.

E16F39E7-FDE2-4B3D-9100-0FE86EA0AD5D.jpeg

CD9E3B20-9A34-465A-932D-A340D744FEC9.jpeg

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
Mystery solved!! I recently got into mixing two part epoxy to fill voids and cracks in wood. Just an accent thing. Note to self: Don’t run epoxy thru your planer! I put the new blades in on the 18th, they are shot. I had not thought about the damage epoxy could do, guess I’m sanding it down flush from now on. I surely appreciate all you guys trying to help me out, I fell like an idiot! Here is a picture of one of the blades, I-phone picture but you can still see the damage. It’s right in front of the “G” triangle.

View attachment 191074

View attachment 191075
Are the blades reversible?

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Those brushes looked fine from that angle, however, from that angle... Still a very good idea to check your electrical flow and amperage draws. Always had designated outlet and breaker for each bigger machine. In 2010 we remodeled some and had to get a new electrical feed to the house to match the new higher amp service box. They placed a 20 amp GFI outlet below the breaker box. It trips with many of the old school 15 amp tools, however they work fine in the non GFI designated outlets.

Always good to know what your tools are using in prime condition as well as when beat.