Did a big turn today

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
A friend of mine has a wood mizer and milled several huge cottonwood logs, he gave me all the bulges and lumps he cut to fit then on the mill. Whittled a 24" bowl blank with my chainsaw, and mounted it up outboard. Rigged up the tool rest as shown. Went fine other than the big stinky mess it made, had some pretty colors inside, off to the drying rack now....
biggy.jpg biggy2.jpg

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
That's looking really good. I just can't imagine getting close to that thing when it's spinning around.

rob3232

Reaction score
First name
Rob
Use my Workmates (3) all the time. Very creative! Bowl looks awesome :highfive:.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
The color on that massive 24ā€ diam. cottonwood is spectacular- it has this decadent ā€œdulce de lecheā€ center. I am a sucker for big umeke or calabash that I have seen when I was in Hawaii. Canā€™t wait to see the finish product Barry.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Man thats got a lot going on in that piece, it's going to be beautiful.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Great looking hunk of wood, bet it was fun chucking it up and turning. Any plans for the bowl, or are you just turning it for the challenge and going to figure out later what to do with it?

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Thanks for documenting this turn! Itā€™s already awesome and you are just getting started! Chuck

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great looking hunk of wood, bet it was fun chucking it up and turning. Any plans for the bowl, or are you just turning it for the challenge and going to figure out later what to do with it?
Good question ha ha, I actually have 2 of these big guys in the works. Ideally I would sell at least one, and my wife says she wants to put one on our big coffee table. I don't have an outlet to sell stuff, but do have several regular customers locally who might be interest, might just have to fill them both with spheres...:sarcastic:

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Good question ha ha, I actually have 2 of these big guys in the works. Ideally I would sell at least one, and my wife says she wants to put one on our big coffee table. I don't have an outlet to sell stuff, but do have several regular customers locally who might be interest, might just have to fill them both with spheres...:sarcastic:
You're gonna need a whole bunch of smaller ones or maybe just a couple of bowling ball sized spheres.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Barry, that is way cool! Love the use of the Workmate. I've used an axle stand myself before - but that was scary!

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
A friend of mine has a wood mizer and milled several huge cottonwood logs, he gave me all the bulges and lumps he cut to fit then on the mill. Whittled a 24" bowl blank with my chainsaw, and mounted it up outboard. Rigged up the tool rest as shown. Went fine other than the big stinky mess it made, had some pretty colors inside, off to the drying rack now....
View attachment 206532View attachment 206533
Did you ever finish this turning? Chuck

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Somehow I missed this, really sweet looking Barry!

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
I missed it also. Don't know how. Anyway, Barry, that's gonna be nice when done. And the Cottonwood I've turned doesn't smell too awful. I think fresh Palo Verde smells a lot worse.
When do you think you'll start the re-turn? ......... Jerry (in Tucson)