Do you have any trail cam pic's

DaveHawk

Reaction score
First name
david
Recent cell cam pic's of what I hope to be a big boy this season. Had to tell if the bottom is the same buck he looks to be.

28433724.jpg

28681876.jpg

28682064_20170704164809_PICT1446-100-1446(1).JPG

Last edited:

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
That's looks like a good one. Our cameras will be going out soon being we just had our quota hunt drawing.

DaveHawk

Reaction score
First name
david
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a few bucks in the area. This is a good 8 most likely but he will get a pass for another year or two.

28434657.jpg

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
WGI_0027.JPG

WGI_0123.JPG

Little better picture of my annoying pig! He's a tad thick!!

WGI_0102.JPG
Then I keep getting these...

WGI_0087.JPG

WGI_0050.JPG

Last year's picture -- Personally, I get a bigger thrill out of these pictures than all the bucks... 3 out of the 4 fawns here were raised in the yard. Literally about a hundred yards from the house, around the fish ponds. Have an acre or two of swamp on the edge of the ponds, and a strip about 8 - 10 feet wide between 2 of the ponds that they raise them in. Both spots afford them some protection from predators, but enough cover to hide. Close enough to the house not a lot of predators harass them, strip between the ponds is grown up, you can watch them lay down a lot of times and they disappear. Close to feed and water. Every year for 5 years, one had a single fawn, the other had twins. Two years ago the doe with the single fawn was hit on the highway, last year the doe with the twins was hit. But, another one has found the strip between the ponds, as will another find the spot in the swamp. They grew up there, it's simply moving home for them.

WGI_0257.JPG

I got Turkeys too...

WGI_0005.JPG

Last edited:

Gixxerjoe04

Reaction score
First name
Joseph
Put my camera out a few weeks ago but haven't been back out to check it, probably should get my bow out and get ready since it'll be deer season before i know it and i need to kill a couple this year.

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Put my camera out a few weeks ago but haven't been back out to check it, probably should get my bow out and get ready since it'll be deer season before i know it and i need to kill a couple this year.
We knocked the dust off our bows the other day with a local 3D shoot. Pretty good way to practice on yardage estimates. It will be bow season before you know it.

Gixxerjoe04

Reaction score
First name
Joseph
I thought about putting corn out in my yard and shoot one off my back deck haha, only have an acre and a half but it's out in the country and have deer running through all the time. Had two fawns playing right beside the woods in our yard a few weeks ago. Last season my son was born a few weeks after it opened, only got to go a few times and didn't kill anything, should have but passed on a couple and probably shouldn't have.

DaveHawk

Reaction score
First name
david
Look at it this way you had a great season with the new son and you get to look forward to seeing those couple that you passed on being bigger this year

Gixxerjoe04

Reaction score
First name
Joseph
Depends on the out of state hunters next to our farm, they'll shoot anything. Few years ago I let a small 10 pointer walk and watched it jump our fence, didn't take two steps and BOOOOM. Walked over and talked to them, said he always wanted to shoot a 10 pointer..... The worse hunting luck I had was not going opening day 3 years ago bc of a damn wedding party we had for us, this one monster actually showed up in daylight hours. He didn't show up for the rest of the season but had him on camera again the next year

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Yeah I have a few neighbors that keep telling me I should have taken the 8 pt. the last 2 years, that someone else was going to get him. I keep telling them, they may, but I personally am going to let him grow and pass those genes on. Thus far he's survived, and the guys I've talked with haven't seen him on camera at all yet.

Know the feeling on the big buck, the 10 pt I was chasing has only shown in daylight hours on camera 1 time. Sat on my stand until it was almost dark one night, checked my phone 7:15 climbed down out of the stand (before I had the condo), and went to the house. Next day I pulled cards on the camera and he was standing in front of the camera at 7:18, meaning he walked in as I was walking out.

red 9-16 009.jpg

Last edited:

DaveHawk

Reaction score
First name
david
Rock1, i don't go to my honey untill the rut kicks in. I've taken 3 bucks back there. Get in early , rattle a few times and wait.

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
My problem Dave is most of my big bucks hang out in a swamp half mile or so south of me. They'll come up here and feed all summer, but when the rut starts and they become preoccupied with other things, and acorns are dropping all along the river, they aren't nearly as interested in coming up here to feed. While I do have several large oaks, and they do drop a lot of acorns here on the property, (front yard is full of them, is not the least bit uncommon to work in the shop at night and watch bucks feeding under the yard light in the front yard 40 yards away), even with feed plots, and corn, and mineral blocks for them; that simply isn't important that time of year. Limited number of does up here, and they're usually covered early. Need to thin out a bunch of smaller bucks, BUT... FWC in their infinite wisdom imposed regulations on horn size in this unit. Which is good to some extent, I do understand their reasoning, don't get me wrong; but I've had several bucks here, that are not passing on desirable genetics, and they're old enough they're strictly nocturnal.

Might have half a chance if I moved south to hunt them, but the land here around the house is chopped up in NUMEROUS 10, 20, 40 acre plots, most of which are being hunted by others, or they want some ridiculous price to allow you access to hunt a little bitty piece of land. And, a half mile west of us, Suwannee River Water Management has everything for a half mile from the river locked up for MILES, and they don't allow hunting on this stretch. Makes for a lot of nice bucks, but it also makes a terrific place for them to run and hide about 2 days into Black Powder season. Currently have my 25 acres and 60 south of me I can hunt; mow parts of that for the neighbor all summer, in exchange for hunting privileges.

Contemplating buying archery equipment, that would afford me a chance at the bigger bucks before gun season started, but the bugs are still terrible here in September, (hell they're terrible into December even, unless you get some seriously cold weather), not to mention you can still see a lot of 80 - 90 degree days that time of year, and the combination makes archery a far less enjoyable experience when hunting evenings. Bow would be difficult to maneuver in the condo, but they do allow crossbow, and I've been seriously contemplating that. Have one stand set up for archery on the back fence, and I could set up a tree stand or two on the neighbor's stuff where I have a little more cover and work with a compound as well.

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Rocky, even with the point restrictions, which I like, you only need a main beam of 10 in to be legal. I'm sure you already know that. It doesn't take much of a rack to meet the minimum. Measure some of the deer you have taken in the past. I agree with you on the compound bow idea. Archery hunting is a ton of fun.

DaveHawk

Reaction score
First name
david
Rocky1, your talking about how I hunt now. I canoe across a small lake to get back to the swamp. It took me a few years to figure it out. Once I did I found the big boys hang out.
I've always bow hunted 35 years ,crossbow, in and around bedding areas in the thickets. I've hunted crop damage permits and have taken 100s of deer. About 10 yesrs ago I gave the back yards to mt son to hunt and have only hunted the farm in Va 120 miles away. I only get out 4 or 5 weekends durring the season now a day. So making it count using the trail cam, 1st year ever for me. The trail can is not telling me anything I had not figired out but it lets me know what ypung bucks are up and coming. Big bucks push them out of the area early so I don't usually see them. Good luck and get on a pinch point along the swamp.

I cleared a 10 yard diameter area for the bow season. Same stand I hunt the swamp with the ML'er.