Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I used a pretty good slug of syrup in the brine

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Alder is a traditional smoking wood used in Alaska for salmon and that's where she first tasted fish done with it. Amazing flavor. Here is what the onlinegrill.com says about it:

View attachment 204344
I had a uncle who's passion was dragging spoons around in lakes. He was quite successful and landed many lake trout and landlocked salmon. He also was good at smoking his catch. I believe he used mostly apple wood. Hardly a family gathering went by without some of his smoked fish. It was always great.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I was probably into my upper 20's before I had my first smoke salmon at a Jewish Deli in Orlando, FL. Up till then it was only smoked mullet, we'd get from an old gentleman who lived in Corpus Christi and he used an old refrigerator to smoke them.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Hey Dave, care to share your brine/cure recipe?

Local meat market periodically has loins on sale, and I know what I'm going to do with the next one I pick up.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Couldn't resist, seeing Dave's Canadian bacon stuck in my mind, and one of the local stores had loins on sale for $1.49 last week, so have 10# on the smoker right now.

IMG_4016.JPG

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
And off the grill resting. Will slice a little for supper with some black beans and rice, rest will go into fridge for cooling before slicing and freezing tomorrow.

IMG_4019.JPG

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Basic sodium nitrite (pink salt) brine I found here. http://nwedible.com/how-to-make-canadian-bacon-at-home/

3.5 days in the brine, 2.5 hours smoked with apple. I wasn't watching it closely enough and got the temp up to 160° so it may be slightly drier than I'd like. Most recipes I looked at suggested 150°. Still, very very tasty!

BTW, the recipe suggests using a gallon bag to brine a 4-5 lb roast, you really need a 2 gallon bag for that size roast.

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
This website has some great tutorials especially Bearcarvers. I've done his Canadian bacon and also his cured meats(deer).

Here's the link to his Canadian bacon.

Just giving some more options to all!!

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I saw Bearcarvers tutorials\recipies, but decided to do a quicker wet cure instead of his 7-10 day dry cure. Also, I ordered the pink salt before I started looking for recipes, and I think most of his use Tender Quick instead. You can do a dry cure with the pink salt, but I was too impatient to do that the first time.

If anyone is interested, here is the index to all of Bearcarvers recipes. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/bears-step-by-step-index.159333/

I want to some dry curing next, but need to read up on it a little and look at more recipes.

One of his I really want to try is the cured pulled pork butt.

Last edited:

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Tender quick is hard t find around here. I did find a recipe to make your own Tender Quick using the pink cure #1