Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.
  1. David Van Asperen

David Van Asperen Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    David
    Hey all,
    I plan to try and make a dough bowl in the next couple of weeks ,if I can squeeze it into my schedule .
    I will be using some green maple logs, after rough shaping them ,how do I best dry them to prevent cracking. If they warp a little I can live with that and it may even add some character .
    This will my first attempt so any tips and advice is greatly appreciated.
    I plan to use the angle grinder for the bulk of rough shaping
    Thanks in advance for your advice ,
    Dave

2. Tom Smart

Tom Smart Member Full Member

First name:
    Tom
    There is more than one way to dry a rough turning or shaping. Depending on how thick you want the final piece, leave it at least an inch thick. You can place the bowl in a paper bag and cover it with shavings, you can put anchor seal on it and place it in a bag, I've also seen folks wrap the exterior in plastic wrap and just put it on a shelf. If it is wrapped, do not wrap the entire bowl only around the outside/the end grain. Depending on the size of the bowl, how wet the wood is and the environment it is stored in it could be 6 months to a year before dry. I am just now returning bowls roughed out in April. I had several and got the huge paper leaf/yard waste bags from Costco to put them in.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    I have made a couple, I didn't do anything, just let them air dry. they turned out OK. But to be on the safe side, it's probably good to apply anchor seal to the end grain areas......

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
Current Time: 10:12 PM