Dovetail Chisel Tool

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Noticed a lathe tool in a couple of catalogs that I'd not seen before, a Dovetail Chisel Tool. Does anyone use this tool. Seems like it probably is not really necessary. Any thoughts? Thanks! Chuck

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I think it's usually used to make the angled mortice for the chuck to fit into on the bottom of a bowl. Actually kinda handy. You could use a skey for that also.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
If your jaws have a dovetail profile and if you regularly use mortises instead of tenons it might be a useful tool. I've never had the need for one. If I did, I'd buy a cheap narrow scraper and make my own.

Greenacres2

Reaction score
First name
Earl
I have one of Nova's. Used it some, but i'm challenged in keeping the cutting surfaces as sharp as i like. So, mostly use a skew or detail gouge. could just be me, your mileage may vary.

JD1137

Reaction score
First name
John
Like Tim @trc65 said, it's pretty easy to grind your own if you have an "extra" scraper on hand. I use tenons almost exclusively, however, our turning club inherited a bunch of once-turned bowls and the former owner used all motices, (or recesses). There was a lot of Cherry burl once-turned bowls, so I took a couple to finish.

Anyway - I would usually use a skew to re-round the recess, but it doesn't always work because the tailstock is sometimes in the way to line up the skew (unless you have a vacuum chuck). The skew has to have the handle swung slightly to the right to get the correct angle at the tip. I have found the home-made tool to be a little "grabby" compared with using a skew, but I've used it in a pinch.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I keep meaning to puck up a cheap straight skew and make one. The only use I know of for it, as already mentioned is the recess for dovetail jaws on your chuck.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I use one quite a lot, in fact just yesterday. Mine is made form a bedan tool, which came with a set, and I never used it otherwise...