• Woodbarter Hats Are Available!!! Scroll down on the main page to the Member Activities & Site Support, Then click on Wood Barter SCHWAG and go to the topic Woodbarter Hats 2022 to order your hat. There's only a limited quanity, so don't wait to get yours.

Drill vs Impact Driver

Alan R McDaniel Jr

Reaction score
First name
Alan
One day, a while back, I went to the hardware store and bought 5# of three sizes. Got home and they were the smaller torx head size... I've about got all of them used up on things that will never come apart. It was pretty aggravating. I pretty much use the T25 size and I've got lots of those bits...

Alan

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
One day, a while back, I went to the hardware store and bought 5# of three sizes. Got home and they were the smaller torx head size... I've about got all of them used up on things that will never come apart. It was pretty aggravating. I pretty much use the T25 size and I've got lots of those bits...

Alan
I was grabbing some other sized screws and also discovered they were T20. Luckily, I was still at hardware store, so I loaded up on 3 packs of the locking bit types (not sure what to call them, the longer ones that lock into the drivers vs. the short ones that go into magnetic holders). Even though each box comes with the short magnetic bit, I now have bits everywhere for the 10mm socket gremlin to find and hide on me.

Greenacres2

Reaction score
First name
Earl
Regarding bits--when using an impact driver, it's good to use "impact-rated" bits. Not a big concern in soft material/woods, but in harder material we run the risk of breaking the bit while driving (unless the screw head breaks first). Kind of like using impact-rated sockets but on a smaller scale.

Got my first impact driver in a kit, and like Garry mentioned earlier--it was a year or two that i just used the drill. Since the first time i used a driver, i've not driven a screw or bolt with my drills!! Great tool, and there is a reason they exist.
earl