Driving thru Washington DC ? Read this first...

Herb G.

Reaction score
First name
Herb
If you are planning on driving thru the Washington DC area any time soon, you'll want to read this all the way through before you set out.
There is a lot of construction going on - on the major roads in the DC area. It will be going on until 2022 at the earliest. Why is that such a big deal?

Well, honestly the construction is not the big deal. It's the sneaky way they drop the speed limits thru the construction zones & how they enforce it. They use modified Porta Johns to hide their speed cameras in.
There are usually 2 of them sitting behind a Jersey Wall barrier. The first one is an actual Porta John.
The second one is a regular Porta John, with a big hole cut in the side of it.
The speed camera sits inside the Porta John & you don't even see it until you see the flash in your rear view mirror.
They also park trucks with cameras in them behind the Porta Johns that snap your pic when you go flying by.

Here's a link for the speed cameras, but they don't mention the fact they are hiding the cameras inside the Porta Johns too.
Keep an eye on your speed if you're driving thru DC any time in the next few years.
I just thought you should know, because the speed tickets start at $290 & go up from there.
Another fact they don't bother to mention in the link below.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/...tions/65-98a3f684-d2bf-4193-b802-129d85b525d4

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
My advice would be skip the article and do the speed limit. Lots of accidents in speed zones. Construction workers vs cars is never a good deal for the worker. Fines in Washington state in construction zones is higher than that.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
That's minor... Georgia - I 75 - was under construction for at least 20 years, may still be, I don't know, I found other routes around their chickenshit under construction 355.11 mile long speed trap. There they would have construction projects within construction projects, and I have literally seen the speed limit change 3 and 4 times in a half mile and GHP would have officers patrolling it constantly. Georgia Highway Patrol funded their entire friggin operating budget for years with speeding fines derived from that one road. You never knew how fast you were supposed to be driving, it was constantly up and down.

Then there is their little super speeder fine, wherein if you are more than 15 mph over the speed limit, (like as in entering a supposed construction speed zone where there is no construction for MILES ahead, where folks tend to continue at interstate speeds of 71 - 72 mph until they actually see construction, and the speed limit drops to 55 mph, except that they double that in a construction zone, so you are in fact considered 30+ mph over the limit). You get ticketed for the 15 mph over in a construction zone, which ain't cheap, and pay your fine, and after paying your fine, you get another ticket in the mail for "Super Speeding", because paying your fine is considered by the Georgia courts as admission of guilt that you were Super Speeding, and there is another $200 fine attached to that. And, if you refuse to pay that fine, the state of Georgia will suspend your license. Then it will cost you another $50 to have your license reinstated, and the $200 fine for super speeding, and the fine for 15 mph over in a construction zone, which is 30 mph over, since there is construction, somewhere miles ahead.

Last edited:

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
That's minor... Georgia - I 75 - was under construction for at least 20 years, may still be, I don't know, I found other routes around their chickenshit under construction 355.11 mile long speed trap. There they would have construction projects within construction projects, and I have literally seen the speed limit change 3 and 4 times in a half mile and GHP would have officers patrolling it constantly. Georgia Highway Patrol funded their entire friggin operating budget for years with speeding fines derived from that one road. You never knew how fast you were supposed to be driving, it was constantly up and down.

Then there is their little super speeder fine, wherein if you are more than 15 mph over the speed limit, (like as in entering a supposed construction speed zone where there is no construction for MILES ahead, where folks tend to continue at interstate speeds of 71 - 72 mph until they actually see construction, and the speed limit drops to 55 mph, except that they double that in a construction zone, so you are in fact considered 30+ mph over the limit). You get ticketed for the 15 mph over in a construction zone, which ain't cheap, and pay your fine, and after paying your fine, you get another ticket in the mail for "Super Speeding", because paying your fine is considered by the Georgia courts as admission of guilt that you were Super Speeding, and there is another $200 fine attached to that. And, if you refuse to pay that fine, the state of Georgia will suspend your license. Then it will cost you another $50 to have your license reinstated, and the $200 fine for super speeding, and the fine for 15 mph over in a construction zone, which is 30 mph over, since there is construction, somewhere miles ahead.
And you know this how........

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
If you are planning on driving thru the Washington DC area any time soon, you'll want to read this all the way through before you set out.
There is a lot of construction going on - on the major roads in the DC area. It will be going on until 2022 at the earliest. Why is that such a big deal?

Well, honestly the construction is not the big deal. It's the sneaky way they drop the speed limits thru the construction zones & how they enforce it. They use modified Porta Johns to hide their speed cameras in.
There are usually 2 of them sitting behind a Jersey Wall barrier. The first one is an actual Porta John.
The second one is a regular Porta John, with a big hole cut in the side of it.
The speed camera sits inside the Porta John & you don't even see it until you see the flash in your rear view mirror.
They also park trucks with cameras in them behind the Porta Johns that snap your pic when you go flying by.

Here's a link for the speed cameras, but they don't mention the fact they are hiding the cameras inside the Porta Johns too.
Keep an eye on your speed if you're driving thru DC any time in the next few years.
I just thought you should know, because the speed tickets start at $290 & go up from there.
Another fact they don't bother to mention in the link below.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/...tions/65-98a3f684-d2bf-4193-b802-129d85b525d4

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
And you know this how........

Because a whole lot of VERY grumpy people talked to the TV Station in Jacksonville, and it was all over the news, for days! Google "Georgia Super Speeder" and look at what all pops up. It is mind boggling, to say the least!! But, yeah there was some truly grumpy people. Paid the fine for speeding, then got another $200 ticket in the mail for "Super Speeding" a week later.

I put up with it for a few years, I don't like Atlanta, traffic sucks there even when it is moving. Usually, 10 pm to 3 am isn't too bad if you shoot through the middle of town. Had one trip I hit rush hour, by-pass was backed up due to accidents both sides of town, shot through the middle. Oh yeah... 2 accidents downtown! Get through that mess, after being parked in 6 lanes of traffic for an hour, sailed out the other side, we're zipping right along, get out where 75 and the by pass merge, and suddenly traffic just locked up. I was in my car that trip, no problem stopping on my end, I looked in the rear view mirror, and there's some guy in a Ford dualy, big gooseneck behind him closing on my back bumper real rapidly. Made the decision to park my ass over in the emergency lane real quick. It was a good call, when he got that pickup stopped, amidst a cloud of tire smoke, I was looking at his front bumper out of my passenger window. It was even with my rear view mirror.

Spent hours parked in Chattanooga and Nashville up and back next trip.

Every trip was GHP hiding behind over passes, hiding behind trees, hiding behind construction equipment, hiding on frontage roads. When it got to the point the yo-yos were out of their cars kneeled down hiding behind the guard rails on the over passes, it was kinda getting ridiculous, and at the 4 different posted speed limits in a half mile, that sh1t just zipped right on out there way past ridiculous. Was getting to the point, every 50 miles there would be a pack of them, 6 - 8 cars running people down. Which most of what they were running down was on the inside lanes, and had to cross to the outside lanes, so traffic was beyond absolutely screwed up every time you blinked.

The next year the wife and I started up, we weren't a half mile into the first reduced speed zone and the GHP had someone pulled over, told the wife there has to be a way around this POS road and the state of Georgia, get out the Atlas and find me the most direct route out of here. She looked over and said they always turned at the next exit to go to the relatives in northern Mississippi. I didn't care where the hell it led me, simply asked if it was 4 lane. I haven't been through Atlanta or Chattanooga since! Passed through Nashville once headed for Gatlinburg. Headed home from there through the Smoky Mountain National Park and down 441, but it was the day after the Florida/Georgia game, Georgia fans were flocking home from Jacksonville, and every law enforcement officer in the damn state was on 441 that day. Told the wife, there can't be any law enforcement left anywhere else in the state, so I shot over to Macon and ran 75 home. (And, did not see a single law enforcement officer on I-75 from Macon to the Florida line.) Typically ran across north Florida, shot up to Dothan, Montgomery, over to Tupelo, (I hate Birmingham too!!).

But no... I've never had a speeding ticket in Georgia. Although I probably deserved a few!

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Because a whole lot of VERY grumpy people talked to the TV Station in Jacksonville, and it was all over the news, for days! Google "Georgia Super Speeder" and look at what all pops up. It is mind boggling, to say the least!! But, yeah there was some truly grumpy people. Paid the fine for speeding, then got another $200 ticket in the mail for "Super Speeding" a week later.

I put up with it for a few years, I don't like Atlanta, traffic sucks there even when it is moving. Usually, 10 pm to 3 am isn't too bad if you shoot through the middle of town. Had one trip I hit rush hour, by-pass was backed up due to accidents both sides of town, shot through the middle. Oh yeah... 2 accidents downtown! Get through that mess, after being parked in 6 lanes of traffic for an hour, sailed out the other side, we're zipping right along, get out where 75 and the by pass merge, and suddenly traffic just locked up. I was in my car that trip, no problem stopping on my end, I looked in the rear view mirror, and there's some guy in a Ford dualy, big gooseneck behind him closing on my back bumper real rapidly. Made the decision to park my ass over in the emergency lane real quick. It was a good call, when he got that pickup stopped, amidst a cloud of tire smoke, I was looking at his front bumper out of my passenger window. It was even with my rear view mirror.

Spent hours parked in Chattanooga and Nashville up and back next trip.

Every trip was GHP hiding behind over passes, hiding behind trees, hiding behind construction equipment, hiding on frontage roads. When it got to the point the yo-yos were out of their cars kneeled down hiding behind the guard rails on the over passes, it was kinda getting ridiculous, and at the 4 different posted speed limits in a half mile, that sh1t just zipped right on out there way past ridiculous. Was getting to the point, every 50 miles there would be a pack of them, 6 - 8 cars running people down. Which most of what they were running down was on the inside lanes, and had to cross to the outside lanes, so traffic was beyond absolutely screwed up every time you blinked.

The next year the wife and I started up, we weren't a half mile into the first reduced speed zone and the GHP had someone pulled over, told the wife there has to be a way around this POS road and the state of Georgia, get out the Atlas and find me the most direct route out of here. She looked over and said they always turned at the next exit to go to the relatives in northern Mississippi. I didn't care where the hell it led me, simply asked if it was 4 lane. I haven't been through Atlanta or Chattanooga since! Passed through Nashville once headed for Gatlinburg. Headed home from there through the Smoky Mountain National Park and down 441, but it was the day after the Florida/Georgia game, Georgia fans were flocking home from Jacksonville, and every law enforcement officer in the damn state was on 441 that day. Told the wife, there can't be any law enforcement left anywhere else in the state, so I shot over to Macon and ran 75 home. (And, did not see a single law enforcement officer on I-75 from Macon to the Florida line.) Typically ran across north Florida, shot up to Dothan, Montgomery, over to Tupelo, (I hate Birmingham too!!).

But no... I've never had a speeding ticket in Georgia. Although I probably deserved a few!
Yikes

FLQuacker

Reaction score
First name
Wayne
There's is a better chance of snow in hell...than me ever getn a speeding ticket in DC.

South GA... different odds :cool: