drug the sawmill out today

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
i screw a 2 ft x 2ft sheet of plywood to end for cookies or to side for small boards, that ply wood is then screwed to the 2x6's that i have permanently screwed to a short area of the bed of the mill. it holds the piece in place and allows me to cut down to within about 2" of the bed so as to not hit the screws. my mill works fair with the clamps for big logs, and quite well with a flat face of long logs down, but small pieces and shorts(cookies) meed to be held with screws to a foot that is screwed to the bed. i'll upload some pics of such next round

Last edited:

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
You have any of this available for purchase?
what sizes are you looking for. if i remember your other thread you're after slabs for resin pour tables?
most of the logs i'll be cutting in the next 2 months have been laying whole for a year or more. most are mesquite or acacia and desert willow. they tend to move very little once slabbed. on the other hand the california pepper and the olive will shrink and crack after slabbing. i slab mostly 18 to 24 inch wide logs by up to about 10 feet(not much longer than that straight). i have the ability to palletize and ship volumes

Last edited:

Bigg081

Connoisseur of Man Glitter
Reaction score
First name
Shane
what sizes are you looking for. if i remember your other thread you're after slabs for resin pour tables?
most of the logs i'll be cutting in the next 2 months have been laying whole for a year or more. most are mesquite or acacia and desert willow. they tend to move very little once slabbed. on the other hand the california pepper and the olive will shrink and crack after slabbing. i slab mostly 18 to 24 inch wide logs by up to about 10 feet(not much longer than that straight). i have the ability to palletize and ship volumes

Not looking for slabs for tables. But for cheese boards. Game board flat rate size boxes. Prefer 3/4 or 4/4 if possible. Dry is best.

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
i can cut 3/4 and 4/4 from seasoned logs of mesquite. will probably be in the 15 to 20% moisture range

Bigg081

Connoisseur of Man Glitter
Reaction score
First name
Shane
i can cut 3/4 and 4/4 from seasoned logs of mesquite. will probably be in the 15 to 20% moisture range
That would be great. Mesquite, in my experience, doesnt move much, if at all. Live edge, stable cracks, knots and all other character is very much welcome. Feel free to PM me to discuss details, then we can post in the For Sale area to keep with the rules.

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
That would be great. Mesquite, in my experience, doesnt move much, if at all. Live edge, stable cracks, knots and all other character is very much welcome. Feel free to PM me to discuss details, then we can post in the For Sale area to keep with the rules.
i'll get some cut and send a pm with details

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I'm cornfusticated! When you say California Pepper destroys itself when drying - what does that mean?

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
I'm cornfusticated! When you say California Pepper destroys itself when drying - what does that mean?
water content is so high that even whole dried logs have pockets inside where the wood has shrunk away to pockets as big as hens eggs. boards rarely are check free,even when handled with anchorseal or the like. the pips or corms in the burly areas will shrink by as much as 75% more than the surrounding wood. somewhat reminiscent of what i've seen a lot of smooth bark eucalyptus do. I've seen 3 inch thick slabs of that stuff turn almost 30 degrees over 8 feet

Last edited: