Duck call jig

JR Custom Calls

Gobble Gobble
Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
Good luck with that. I've found that callmakers are extremely helpful to each other, and willing to go out of their way in a lot of cases... but when they've worked for years on refining their toneboard, there's not a lot that will go out and share their secrets.

I've been researching tone boards for the past few months. What I've found is that most people recommend getting a public jig and tweaking from there (not to be confused with twerking). That's what I'm going to do, as I ordered a public jig today. I figure I'll burn through a bunch of wood finding a good sound, but keeping measurements and file strokes on paper so that I can get a feel for what each change does for the sound.

But, who knows... maybe someone will offer up their secret.

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
When I started I made a wooden jig based on the insert from my favorite call. Later, I made a wooden flat jig to get the first cut on my insert. Either will give you a great start without spending $100s. There are plenty here who can help along the way... or dig around some on THO forums, some great and helpful folks there, too.

Duckhunter808

Reaction score
First name
Corey
I highly recommend wade at webfoot call public jig....it's great for getting a good starting point!

GeauxGameCalls

Reaction score
First name
Elliot
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll keep the forum posted and watch the for sale or trade because it may pop up!:saw:

GeauxGameCalls

Reaction score
First name
Elliot
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm mistaken.. That'll last you awhile and be a good chunk of change!

sgartennga

Reaction score
First name
Stephen
It's been so cool to see the different looking wood that people use on projects. The lumber yards I go to just don't have the variety that's on here