Dust collector question

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I am a hobby woodworker, mostly work smaller bench size projects out of my garage, usually during warmer weather when I can move my tools outside. I know many of you have dust collectors. From a before and after perspective, how much do you think they help? Would you recommend one for my application? I don't really have a great place to put the blower, cyclone receiver and collection bin so space is a premium. Right now I just use a shop vac to clean up after I'm done working.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Makes a huge difference in my shop. fine dust is what is hard on you and it picks up most of it.

eaglea1

Call Maker, Sign Engraver, Resin Caster
Reaction score
First name
Randy
I wouldn't be without my dust collector. The chips and flying epoxy are no issue, but that fine dust that you can't see,
that's the problem. Even when I am doing a CA finish with the accelerator it's a tremendous lung saver. If you have the
funds, get one, and you'll never regret it.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
After working for so many years without dust collection and now having it I will never ever go without it again. The health benefits alone are enough, but it also makes cleanup in the shop quicker.
One of my machines is just a simple harbor freight DC with a Wynn filter upgrade. 20210425_180351.jpg
I recently added a 2nd stage cyclone and drum collector to it.
20210424_192703.jpg
Changing the bag on the old system was a p.i.t.a. but it's much easier now and most of the real fine dust goes into the drum and not to my filter.
20210425_193530.jpg
I would recommend a pleated filter, they are more efficient than the bag styles and filter down to a 1/2 micron. I also have mine set up with a remote to turn it on and off, that's very cool.
If your tight on space the DC collector without the drum works well, just takes a little time to change the bag.

Last edited:

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I used one for a long time like Greg's first pic, just rolled it to each machine as I used it, makes a big difference. For best results, you will want 4" dust ports on your machines. ..

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
This is my secondary DC, it's at the other end of my shop. It's a psi cyclone, they don't make them anymore but it works well. It was a craigslist find that I drove an hour for to get. It's used mostly on the drum sander, disc sander, and miter saw. It pics up lower volumes of dust than the other DC which is used with the planer, jointer, table saw, and lathe. Both machines use hoses to connect to whatever machine I'm using at the time, it keeps both of them very flexible. Collection drum is behind all the wood scraps. 20200501_154213.jpg

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
This is my secondary DC, it's at the other end of my shop. It's a psi cyclone, they don't make them anymore but it works well. It was a craigslist find that I drove an hour for to get. It's used mostly on the drum sander, disc sander, and miter saw. It pics up lower volumes of dust than the other DC which is used with the planer, jointer, table saw, and lathe. Both machines use hoses to connect to whatever machine I'm using at the time, it keeps both of them very flexible. Collection drum is behind all the wood scraps.View attachment 210433
I have 3.5 hp PSI tempest. With metal ductwork. Nice machine.
You can build a shed outside for dc.

Last edited:

Alan R McDaniel Jr

Reaction score
First name
Alan
I'm new to dust collecting. The other day I was wondering if the darn thing was doing any good. I walked over and kicked one of the bags. It was 1/3 full. I had just emptied it two weeks before. I'm experimenting with how to to position the intakes to catch the most dust without being in the way.

Alan