• Woodbarter Hats Are Available!!! Scroll down on the main page to the Member Activities & Site Support, Then click on Wood Barter SCHWAG and go to the topic Woodbarter Hats 2022 to order your hat. There's only a limited quanity, so don't wait to get yours.

Eastern hophornbeam (ironwood)

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
Offering fresh cut and sealed logs (2 available) in exchange for my production work blanks. Each defect free log is 18 long x 7-10” dia, very dense unique wood. Trade blanks should be preferably dry, defect free, no punky, knots, checks, etc, minimum size 5 3/4 square by 2 1/2” thick and comparable with the ones in the last pic.

19D1A068-E905-449F-9F43-393DC2572A31.jpeg F1183747-E279-42FB-8CA2-C5E4D59555D3.jpeg C9EE8963-F44F-43E6-9816-060288DFCE5F.jpeg 79DA44E5-57B9-4C26-89C1-B40C01CF85D9.jpeg 427D2872-0D7E-4131-9C9C-C30E6339F7D5.jpeg

Last edited:

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
I still have quite a bit of this log laying in the yard, not dry by any means but far from fresh cut. In fact it may have some additional spalting by this point as this picture was taken roughly two years ago. Been thinking about digging into it again lately, no issue sectioning off a few pieces to see what's there...

48549070577_b972c0c6e5_o.jpeg
Fresh, green is right in my wheelhouse and I have a special love for Hop Hornbeam.

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
I still have quite a bit of this log laying in the yard, not dry by any means but far from fresh cut. In fact it may have some additional spalting by this point as this picture was taken roughly two years ago. Been thinking about digging into it again lately, no issue sectioning off a few pieces to see what's there...

View attachment 225024
Fresh, green is right in my wheelhouse and I have a special love for Hop Hornbeam.

Nice Kyle, Ambrosia maple is always interesting. Would like to let it soak a bit and see if anyone else offers something I don’t have as it just got posted. You’re #1 for now.

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
Nice Kyle, Ambrosia maple is always interesting. Would like to let it soak a bit and see if anyone else offers something I don’t have as it just got posted. You’re #1 for now.
If it helps, I'm planning to be yp in your area in the next couple weeks, looking at realestate... could pickup/deliver and save us both the shipping costs.
I do also have some very dry, very well seasoned Ipe', about 3" thick, but has some surface checks, most appears very shallow, due to the fact it was once part of a board walk in Long Island.

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
Pass on the Ipe, it’s cool wood but plain brown doesn’t sell well on the production stuff.
Good idea on the swap, I’m on the southern most end of Lake Winni, where will be looking?

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
Pass on the Ipe, it’s cool wood but plain brown doesn’t sell well on the production stuff.
Good idea on the swap, I’m on the southern most end of Lake Winni, where will be looking?
Mrs. Highlander is going to be working in Concord, at least for the time being so despite my desire to be on the north end of the Whites, we're looking on the west side of the state, somewhere between Wentworth & Franconia. Want to be as much out in the woods as possible, off the beaten path and away from all the tourist & high population areas, interstates etc. Were considering further north too until the astronomical increase in fuel prices. Within reach of Winni is desirable too as the boy is a die hard fisherman.
I'm still trying to solidify a "when" exactly so I'll dig out that Maple and keep you posted. Meantime, if you get a better offer, I'll live.

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
Sounds good, post pics when you can.
You’ll like that area it rural though Franconia is very busy year round with tourists and outdoor activities, its less than 1.5 hrs straight run on 93 to down town Concord. Winni is the biggest and busiest lake but there are hundreds to choose from, you won’t get bored…No be scared of da bears.

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
Sounds good, post pics when you can.
You’ll like that area it rural though Franconia is very busy year round with tourists and outdoor activities, its less than 1.5 hrs straight run on 93 to down town Concord. Winni is the biggest and busiest lake but there are hundreds to choose from, you won’t get bored…No be scared of da bears.
Will get some pics within the next couple days. Have to do some digging.
It's making me nuts how difficult the market is right now, prices have gone through the roof, hopefully going to improve with interest rates rising, we'll see. Understood about Franconia, was just using that as a landmark. Bears... You'd be surprised, I have far more bears down here in Jersey... Right in the middle of the densest Black Bear population in the country. We're old buds, no issues but as a bonus, they scare the hell outa the rif raf.

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
Ok.
Market is terrible here, very little inventory and prices going up. Assume you have a local realtor and wish you luck finding what you want. We’ve been looking for over a year to downsize and get to the sea coast to be near the grand kids. Can easily sell our big lake house but no new high end 3bed 2 bath have come up.

Bears here are cool, they just come around looking for food. Sister in Princeton NJ says they have a deer big problem. Problem is the critters have a human problem, we keep expanding and destroying they’re habitat.

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
Finally managed to dig out that Ambrosia Maple log. Went to make a clean cut a few inches in from the end I had cut previously and was quickly reminded of my previous experience with this log. Hit a chunk of metal something that the chainsaw chain really didn't like. Went back today with a different chainsaw and a metal detector.... Found a couple feet of the thick end that the metal detector claims is free & clear. I sectioned off just one piece so far, having your disired dimensions in mind, I cut it to roughly 6.5 long and then cut that in half. After getting into it, I kinda felt like I should have cut the length to match the width? But if your looking to stick to your standard size listed, you can get four easy from just that one round and I could do at least two more rounds.
It has certainly advanced with it's spalting, changing the color quite a bit, some places adding some interesting spalting lines.
IMG_1961.JPG IMG_1973.JPG IMG_1966.JPG IMG_1975.JPG IMG_1963.JPG

Last edited:

Mike Hill

The Bard of Barbecue
Reaction score
First name
Mike
That there is right PURDY!

And I don't want to hear any more about that part of the country and bears - makes Lil Mikey envious - and he isn't supposed to be envious - I think it is a commandment somewhere!

Last edited:

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Mrs. Highlander is going to be working in Concord, at least for the time being so despite my desire to be on the north end of the Whites, we're looking on the west side of the state, somewhere between Wentworth & Franconia. Want to be as much out in the woods as possible, off the beaten path and away from all the tourist & high population areas, interstates etc. Were considering further north too until the astronomical increase in fuel prices. Within reach of Winni is desirable too as the boy is a die hard fisherman.
I'm still trying to solidify a "when" exactly so I'll dig out that Maple and keep you posted. Meantime, if you get a better offer, I'll live.
I love Northern NH , did quite a bit of hunting years ago. Mostly around Groveton and Colebrook. Haven't checked lately but Groveton property was dirt cheap after the papermill closed. We have friends in Bloomfield vt just across the river.

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
Finally managed to dig out that Ambrosia Maple log. Went to make a clean cut a few inches in from the end I had cut previously and was quickly reminded of my previous experience with this log. Hit a chunk of metal something that the chainsaw chain really didn't like. Went back today with a different chainsaw and a metal detector.... Found a couple feet of the thick end that the metal detector claims is free & clear. I sectioned off just one piece so far, having your disired dimensions in mind, I cut it to roughly 6.5 long and then cut that in half. After getting into it, I kinda felt like I should have cut the length to match the width? But if your looking to stick to your standard size listed, you can get four easy from just that one round and I could do at least two more rounds.
It has certainly advanced with it's spalting, changing the color quite a bit, some places adding some interesting spalting lines.
View attachment 226137View attachment 226138View attachment 226139View attachment 226140View attachment 226141

See mostly nice stuff and some punky getting started. Do you know what the moisture content is?

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
See mostly nice stuff and some punky getting started. Do you know what the moisture content is?
It was cut about three years ago, been outside uncovered but with the bark still on so, my take is it's nowhere near "green" but it's not dry. The moisture meter is calling it between 25 & 30% testing in the fresh cut sections.
The areas that look punky, I was shocked, they are totally solid.

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
Sounds good Kyle, let’s do it. The hornbeam is sealed and in the shed waiting for you, let me know when you’re inbound.

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
Sounds good Kyle, let’s do it. The hornbeam is sealed and in the shed waiting for you, let me know when you’re inbound.
Any thoughts about the dimensions? I could cut another length that's more equal to the diameter. Would make a couple nice bowls or platters or such.

By the way, the irony, a 400 pounder of those black furry things @Mike Hill , came walking up the front steps today... Dog went ballistic, all the big fur-ball wanted was to get on by without being harassed.

Last edited:

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
Like your idea. At 30 % mc its still at high risk of end checking. If you could cut at least 15” length then cut length ways through the pith and seal the ends I’d have the option of two 10” bowls or eight lamp blanks after trimming the ends, hopefully check free, when dry. If it sounds good lets shake on it.

Yeah they’re very mellow here too.

Last edited: