Easy2start Chainsaws

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
The old shoulders don't have many pulls left in them. Wondering about the Stihl Easy2start saws. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I'd probably get a small one as my current 16 inch saw is my go to saw. I could probably get by with a 14 inch bar but it would be nice to be able to use the 16 inch chains I have already.

I also have a Stihl 20 inch bar saw that my son in laws run mostly for the bigger stuff.

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I only burn high octane no lead fuel in my mowers, trimmers, saws and splitter.

This is what I'm looking at:

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Get the electric one, just don't cut through your cord :sarcastic:

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
Actually Colin, I have one and love it. It's in my shop and I use it for trimming blanks etc. The wood stash is too far away to use the cord and if anyone would cut through it I would.

Doesn't look like these saws have enough power for serious work in the woods, which I think most of you do. I'd use it to cut up limbs and trim out blanks before bringing them in to process.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I have many gas saws, and an electric for use in the shop as its very handy.
I am not familiar with the model still saw that you are asking about so I can't really give you an honest opinion on it. I will say many manufacturers state easy start, it's usually a gimmick or a bunch of stuff added to a saw that will eventually fail and cost a lot of money to get repaired. You are looking at basicly a homeowner saw, light duty. I am of the belief that a properly tuned saw is easy to start. All homeowner saws are buyer beware in my opinion. It might be a good saw, I really don't know.

David Van Asperen

Reaction score
First name
David
Not sure of the model but this fall a neighborhood guy had one of the Sthil saw that started like that . Watched him start it a dozen or so times in a two or three hour time frame and it seemed to work well.. Wish I had some more info fropersonel use for you but that is the extent of my knowledge on it
Dave

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Looks cool! Definitely easier to start than my Stihl...

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
David, I think you should be the Guinea pig and get one and let us know what you think about it.:wink: I can see how this saw would be a benefit to someone with a bad shoulder that can't really yank on a saw to start it. If I had that issue I would look at one too. The only real downside I see to it is that there will be more parts to the starter and if it ever needs to be replaced that could get pricey, Stihl parts are already costly as it is. That is what I was trying to point out above but did a poor job of it. When you pull the rope on one of these easy start saws you are essentially winding up a big spring until it releases and unloads and turns the motor over. It reminds me of the old Tecumseh lawnmower engines that had a crank on top that you used to wind it up, when it was wound you would trip the release and the spring would turn the motor over. The new Stihl easy starts are basically the same thing only the release is automatic. It is a light duty saw/home owner saw, but for what you stated your intentions are as long as you run good 2 cycle oil (use Stihl oil) mixed with ethanol free fuel you should be fine.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
My 90 year old Dad bought one of the easy starts, not sure which one. Can't say we were overjoyed that he is using a CS again but he likes it. I think he as sawed up one small tree that blew over behind his house so far. Calls it his old mans' saw :saw:

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
Thanks everyone. I have some medical issues to resolve, once those are behind me I may just take the leap and get one. I'll report back if I do.

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
Finally picked one up and it's not as substantial as my 025 which I bought in 1992. It seems like there's more plastic in it but it does start easily. I'm sure it's going to require fine tuning and will be fussier than the older one. I already took it back to have the carb. adjusted. Probably should have done it myself but since it was brand new I took it back. The tech. that worked on it lives just down the road so he may have some visits as I get used to it.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Finally picked one up and it's not as substantial as my 025 which I bought in 1992. It seems like there's more plastic in it but it does start easily. I'm sure it's going to require fine tuning and will be fussier than the older one. I already took it back to have the carb. adjusted. Probably should have done it myself but since it was brand new I took it back. The tech. that worked on it lives just down the road so he may have some visits as I get used to it.

Seems that all of the new saws and weed whackers are being built with carburetors that supposedly can only be adjusted by a tech. The are all adjusted too lean and will not run well until fully warmed up. The screws on the jets are not adjustable with any normal screw drivers and I guess there are supposedly BS laws about unauthorized adjustment. I bought a set of drivers for them on ebay after the local dealer refused to sell me one for my Husqvarna pole pruner saw. He claimed he could be fined for selling me one and I could be in sheep dip for owning one, so far the SDEA ( screw driver enforcement agency) has not been here.

Last edited:

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
Dave, I'll have to take a look at the adjustments. Mine came with a small screw driver and spark plug tool. The old one came in a plastic case plus the spark plug tool. At least this one has a blade/chain guard.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Seems that all of the new saws and weed whackers are being built with carburetors that supposedly can only be adjusted by a tech. The are all adjusted too lean and will not run well until fully warmed up. The screws on the jets are not adjustable with any normal screw drivers and I guess there are supposedly BS laws about unauthorized adjustment. I bought a set of drivers for them on ebay after the local dealer refused to sell me one for my Husqvarna pole pruner saw. He claimed he could be fined for selling me one and I could be in sheep dip for owning one, so far the SDEA ( screw driver enforcement agency) has not been here.

My local dealer had me come in and watch while he set up my saw and tuned it when I bought it and made sure I understood all the adjustments. So either your guy is a weenie or my guy didn't care :sarcastic:

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
I have researched it a little, seems like the problem is pretty much a California thing. Only way you can get a 2 cycle to pass their emissions is lean them way out. If you look at the owners manual on most of them they require more oil in the gas than the old saws, I suppose so they will be lubricated at the lean setting. I am not sure if there is actually a federal law on the books prohibiting unauthorized adjustment. I do know the tools are available on ebay and some guys have made them by forcing a small wire crimp connector onto the screw.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
It's not just a California thing, but it is even worse there. And there are federal laws against tampering with the screws but I have never known them to be enforced. I work in a power equipment shop. Everything runs lean now and most carbs have no adjustments. The ones that do have caps covering the screws, and special heads on the screws when you get them uncovered, and they all require special tools to do that. Most manufacturers have gone to synthetic oil because of the lean burn conditions and poor fuel today. @Graybeard the screwdriver that came with your saw is only for the idle screw and not for the mixture screws. At the shop I work at almost all of the 2 cycle equipment sold needs to have the carb screws richened up to get them to run right, almost nothing runs good right out of the box. And yes the dealers can get hefty fines for selling the tools if they get caught. It's not as easy to do a simple carb adjustment for the average user anymore. And the old carbs with the 2 mixture adjustment screws are becoming obsolete and they supercede to the new fixed you can't tamper with it type. So I advise that if you don't have the tools and your brand new machine is not running right take it to a competent repair shop to have the carb adjusted. You should not have to do that on a brand new machine anyway! The dealer should correct it while you wait.