eBay opinion

eBay Traffic

• Yes, letting eBay members know about us is a good idea.

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • No. Let them find us on their own.

Votes: 34 69.4%

• Total voters

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I don't like feebay. It was a great idea but they've just ruined it IMO with constantly adding fees and making it onerous to sell without a PP account. Still, every now and then I would list one or two items to drive traffic to my wood site where I did in fact make quite a few sales that way.

I was considering listing a couple of wood items, and using an "information link" like I used to, to drive traffic here. But I don't know if we'd just end up with a bunch of low-ballers flooding the site trying to do nothing but sell, and not trade.

Sometimes I think that since this is such a novel site, those guys wouldn't treat it like a free feebay, and sometimes I think that that's exactly what most of them would do. And sometimes I wonder that even if the majority of them did look at this site as simply another avenue to sell, so what? More traffic means more options for everyone. Right?

Therefore I'm not going to do it until I get a consensus from you, the current membership. I may or may not act according to the majority - I don't usually decide based on what the crowd thinks (usually just the opposite) but sometimes I do. So, what do you think . . . let the eBay crowd know about us, or not?

Thanks for your input.

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Kevin said:
Therefore I'm not going to do it until I get a consensus from you, the current membership. I may or may not act according to the majority - I don't usually decide based on what the crowd thinks (usually just the opposite) but sometimes I do. So, what do you think . . . let the eBay crowd know about us, or not?

Thanks for your input.

I'm voting to let them find us, but I presume it would be OK to refer specific sellers here if we've had a good experience with them, right?

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
kweinert said:
... but I presume it would be OK to refer specific sellers here if we've had a good experience with them, right?

Definitely. Many new forums will have "Membership Drives" and frequnetly harangue members to enlist others, but I never could tolerate that so I haven't (and won't) taken that route here.

I do encourage members to invite as many friends as they wish :good: But I won't be harassing my members proactively. I'll just harass you passively. :pleasantry:

Daren

Reaction score
First name
Daren
I have really mixed feelings about what you are proposing. While I do think the more the merrier, and so what if guys just do come here to sell because like you said more traffic means more options for everyone...But we all know with the good come the bad, and boy have I met/dealt with some bad ebayers (granted far more good than bad, but the bad were really bad)

I am an feebay seller, and a feebay consumer. I don't sell wood there. I rarely got what I thought it was worth/what I could sell it locally for so I quit years ago. I shop feebay occasionally (if I can get it cheaper there I will buy it there, so that makes me a low baller I guess) I probably buy a dozen or so things there a year.

Oddly enough I break ebays ''rules'' and make side deals also, people contact me for wood (since I link my website on the only thing I sell there, kiln plans) I will also contact people with a price to end their auction or buy quantity (just did that on sandpaper a few months ago, bought all the lady had for a price I threw out before she listed it a little at a time) Another recent example a guy bought a set of my plans, I checked his feedback and it was like 10,000+, he was an electronics power seller. He had an item (laptop speakers) listed for $30. I asked if he would take my $25 plans and call it even, he agreed and shipped them right out. The point of this is there are some horse traders there besides just outright sellers.

Overall I think the ''ebay crowd'' are decent people from my experience. So excluding them wholly (by not inviting them) because of a few bad apples may be shooting ourselves in the foot. When making deals here it is the buyers responsibility/ in his best interest to work a deal that is best for him. Researching the seller/trading partner and using the old gut feeling. We do have a rep system in place here like feebay. And as an added measure we have moderators to put the hammer on scam artists (sadly that would probably be an after the fact type deal, someone was already ripped off before we could take action)

...BUT who is to say the ''good ones'' will come here ? What of we only attract the bad ones, or at least a disproportionate percentage of bad apples ?

Like I said I have mixed feelings. I voted yes just because I leaned more towards yes (by a slim margin), then I started typed this reply and the margin is even slimmer, maybe enough to have voted no... I am curious to see what the others say.

txpaulie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
I've personally shopped(alot) and sold(alittle) on the site in discussion...
Everything from auto parts to xbox games...

There are several sellers there that I'd recommend to anyone, and a few that I avoid...

We're still fledgling, I don't believe that the benefits of a sudden surge in members would outweigh the risks...

Keep in mind that I'm a consumer of wood products, not a supplier...
My opinion will remain skewed that-a-way for the foreseeable future.

You producers may very well benefit significantly...

Good luck, either way!

I'll stick around as long as I've ready cash!:wacko1:

p

JMC

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
I was actually considering ebay for trying to sell a bunch of variety paks but did'nt really consider linking to here because I'm not sure if it would just attract more scammers looking for fresh unexperienced meat (like me being the trusting soul that I am). There are some good/sharp ones out there but following basic precautions is smart. I just try not to commit to more than I can afford to lose. I personally think that even through ebay personal invitations to reputable people that WB members have dealt with as I do now, mostly. I sometimes wonder if I am in it for the social or economic thing, must be social cuz I ain't gettin rich.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Like Daren, I have the same mixed feelings about it for the same reasons and also like Daren, I voted yes but it was a close call.

I saw let'm come but watch'm like a hawk.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
cody.sheridan-2008 said:
I think I am going to have to have a think about this.

I think once you have thought about it, think about telling us what you think about it. What do you think about that? :smile: :i_dunno:

CodyS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
Kevin said:
cody.sheridan-2008 said:
I think I am going to have to have a think about this.

I think once you have thought about it, think about telling us what you think about it. What do you think about that? :smile: :i_dunno:

I think you guys will know as soon as I think I do :sarcastic:

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
phinds said:
... I voted yes but it was a close call....

Please go to the voting booth and try again. Your vote did not register (you must have had a hanging chad :lol: ).

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
my vote is no. I like this site the way it is, for woodworkers by woodworkers. members reffered by friends and from other forums, we know who most of the good guys are. I don't like the idea of opening ourselves up to the scammers and low lifes. I like the way the trading works here and some out right selling. some guys do it for a profit, some for personal use. no one likes to be scammed or ripped off, most of us are friends here even if it is in a virtual or cyber way. There is a comaraderie here that is unlike the buiseness end of it, even for the guys that earn their living off of wood. We all know where feebay and craplist are and how to use those sites, lets keep our site special!

Kenbo

Self proclaimed expert of nothing
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Although Ebay has its merits, it is no longer the site which it was first intended to be. It has become a breeding ground for scammers to get as much for as little as they can. I think that the community here might suffer from that type intervention. All of us know the value of the wood and sometimes it isn't about the money, it's about the feeling that the wood gives you and being able to share it with people who share the same passion about it as you do. Do we really need the commercial selling plug from a site like Ebay? I think not.

That, of course, is one side of the coin.

Here's the other. If 500 people flood WB from Ebay to find a cheap deal, they will soon see that this is not what this site is all about and will probably move on. Within that 500, there may be 10 people just like us, who have been frustrated with the Ebay crap and just want an honest place to trade, sell or buy with people who are just as passionate as they are. That's another 10 honest people to add to the already growing list of great members that we have now.

Bring it on, but as moderators, we will definitely have to have our hackles up for a while.

Spa City Woodworks

Reaction score
First name
Dwain
I buy frequently on ebay and have sold quite a bit on ebay before they became too greedy. (feebay is an apt description). I chose to simply quit doing business with them. Although I am now NOT[/b] an eBay fan, my eBay customers were great. The eBay experience reinforced my opinion that woodworkers and woodturners are honest and genuine people.

If we were talking about subwoofers and cell phones, then I'd share your reservations about limiting traffic toward the site. Nothing against subwoofers - i like my share of bass and I'd go crazy if I lost my cell phone. But I can honestly say that every transaction I've ever had (wood related) regardless of buying, selling, or discussing wood and regardless of eBay, my own website, or my local woodturning club has resulted in new friendships, new and lasting customers, and an overall great experience.

So I say put the word out. All in all, we wood freaks are good people. Sure, there's bound to be a bad apple out there somewhere, but I say it's worth the risk.

Daniel

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
I think that the management and initial population here is solid enough that the site can withstand a short-term population boom.

As someone said above, there will be an initial spike of browsers, hucksters, shysters, and hard-driving-business types... and in that spike there will be a good number of solid folk who will "fit" and will stay connected. The ones looking for a fast buck will move on when they realize that they won't get what they're looking for here.

If the moderators and managers who will be doing the heavy lifting are up to the task and can be patient with that initial surge, then go for it. If that is too much to contemplate, then hang back and let people find the site at a slower pace.

There's my $0.02

(and, btw, if I send you a cashier's check for 20,000 dollars, will you wire me 10,000 and keep the other 10K for yourself? Totally legit, I promise!!!)

:wacko1:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I have sold a little and purchased a lot on ebay. Most of what we have bought is 80 year old antique slip shade lighting. Not easy to ship nor is it cheap. 99.9% of the people we have dealt with have been very good people. Part of the reason is what we were buying-does not attract the jerks and scammers-hell they don't even know what it is. I think most that we will attract will be good people-face it wood is not on the top of scammers lists-too damn much work. And what the heck if we get a bunch of bums we will just blame Kevin for coming up with the Idea!!!!!:yipee: Disclaimer-I probably will not buy or sell much here- I come here for the Ideas and the great people spread out across the world..................

CodyS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
I voted no. I just don't want to risk loosing any community here, that is why I come here and because of the great information that is shared, and if I were to trade I would know that the person I was dealing with would know what they are doing. Not saying that we would not get valuable members but the ones who are going to stick around for the long run are probably not going to come from ebay. Just my opinion I am still borderline, just think we should play it safe.

del schisler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
del schisler
I voted no. Now if you want to make it if you have a 10 post's than you are in good standing ?? Than i would change my vote to yes than. Just my 3 cent's inflation you know

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Spa City Woodworks said:
I buy frequently on ebay and have sold quite a bit on ebay before they became too greedy. (feebay is an apt description). I chose to simply quit doing business with them. Although I am now NOT[/b] an eBay fan, my eBay customers were great. The eBay experience reinforced my opinion that woodworkers and woodturners are honest and genuine people.

If we were talking about subwoofers and cell phones, then I'd share your reservations about limiting traffic toward the site. Nothing against subwoofers - i like my share of bass and I'd go crazy if I lost my cell phone. But I can honestly say that every transaction I've ever had (wood related) regardless of buying, selling, or discussing wood and regardless of eBay, my own website, or my local woodturning club has resulted in new friendships, new and lasting customers, and an overall great experience.

So I say put the word out. All in all, we wood freaks are good people. Sure, there's bound to be a bad apple out there somewhere, but I say it's worth the risk.

This is exactly how I feel about ebay and why I even considered doing this in the first place. I especially agree with what you said about woodworkers & ebay woodworking members I've met a few I didn't like but the vast majority are decent guys. I didn't express it this way in my initial post because if anything, I wanted to be a little negative about this proposition so I didn't unintentionally sugar-coat someone's opinion before they even gave it. Not that our members would be influenced that way, we're all mostly quite independent thinkers.

I think I'll run it up the flagpole for a while there, on a small scale. I can always pull the item/s or remove the link if we see our community personality overrun with sellers who don't want to be part of the community effort. Let's face it we have a few of those now but we can't stop that 100%, and as Robert Palmer sang It takes every kind of people. After all variety is the spice of life, and I love spices. Garlic is especially tummy on twice-baked potato with . . . . (sorry but most of you know I'm going to slip a music or food reference into a post eventually).

I'm as far from a ban-happy tyrant as you'll get, and so are the rest of the staff which is one of the reasons they're staff. However, if we get a member or two who is just rubbing everyone the wrong way, none of us have any trouble doing what needs to be done, so don't think we're willing to let some jackaroos in here just for the sake of increased traffic. :stop:

It'll be this weekend before I list anything most likely. Thanks for the input. Keep it coming as you feel necessary. You can always send myself or a mod a PM to discuss anything you aren't comfortable about posting in public. I'd suggest you send any non-constructive whining type stuff to Paul. He loves that kind of thing and is a great listener. PM if it's really serious and I'll give you his phone number. Any personal issues like family problems or anything that's Daren's forte; I call him "Dr. Phil" because he likes that type of PM so much. For political rants, Kenbo can't get enough political discussion so contact him for that.

I pretty much stick to wood, food, and music. :yipee:

(For you highly medicated members, do not bug the mods with personal stuff I really was joking.)

CodyS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
your killing me kevin :lol::rofl2::lol::rofl2:

if anyone wants to wine add me on fb haha. I'd be happy to take that bullet for all the brilliant work you and all of the mods are doing!