Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Ego cordless mower and blower

Discussion in 'Tool Reviews' started by woodtickgreg, Nov 13, 2018.

1. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Greg
    I just thought I would share my experience with these cordless electric yard tools. Most folks here know I am a small engine mechanic and ran a landscape company for many years so I am very experienced with power equipment. I'll start of with saying I was skeptical of their claims of the power of gas. So I used these tools for a whole season to get a good feel for them and give an honest evaluation and opinion. Keep in mind my previous mower was a snapper self propelled with a big gas engine, side chute and bag. I have to say I absolutely love this mower! It took me a few cuts to get used to the fact that it makes almost no noise, I had to keep looking behind me to make sure it was cutting, lol. I never once put the bag on it, always mulched, and it never labored even in tall wet grass, it automatically ups the power on demand. I would slow the pace down when it was tall as it would leave stragglers due to the fact that it uses a no lift mulch blade, but the gas mower would too. Next thing I liked about it was it weighs nothing! I purchased the self propelled model because I have always run snapper self propelled mowers. But I really dont need that with this mower and I could have saved another hundred bucks going with a push mower. Next thing is the battery charges from dead flat to fully charged in less than an hour and I can cut my lawn 3 times on one charge. I'll post some pics and show some other things I like about it.
    20181111_141627.jpg
    Oh yeah, @Kenbo says I'm gay because I got rid of all my gas lawn equipment. But what does he know, he's Canadian, lol:sarcastic: more pics and further discussion soon.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    3 times? how small/big is your lawn? any hills?

3. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    does it take the 54V battery? or do you just plug in the mower.... I have an Echo cordless weed eater and blower, I'm happy with both, but the blower isnt quite as strong as a gas one...

4. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Greg
    Just an average size residential lawn, front yard is bigger than the back, I can mow, trim, edge, and blow in about an hour. And no hills. But it will run for a long long time.

Its 58 volt, 7 amp hour on the mower and 5 amp hour on the blower, but you can run any of the batteries in any of their tools. The blower is not as powerful as my big gas back pack blower but it is very close and more than adequate.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  5. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    Some things I like about the mower are the one lever height adjust, super quick and easy.
    20181111_142508.jpg pop 2 clips to extend or close up the handle.
    20181111_142529.jpg Upper handle colapsed.
    20181111_142544.jpg One lever yo adjust the height of the handle or fold it up for storage, again it's super quick and easy and locks securely.
    20181111_142549.jpg All folded up and ready to stand on end for storage.
    20181111_142601.jpg Also when you stand it on end it's easy to do blade maintenance or clean the deck.
    20181111_142621.jpg Since it's a plastic deck I use a plastic putty knife to scrape the deck clean after each mowing. This is after mulching leaves.
    20181111_142657.jpg This is how I store it in my garage, only takes up a space about 1 foot by 2 foot.
    20181111_142912.jpg
    I mulched all year with it and never even put the bag on, it does a great job mulching, way better than my gas powered snapper mower.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    This is what I started with in my backyard. It snowed befor I did this so the leaves where wet and kinda stuck to the lawn in spots.
    20181111_131909.jpg But it still did a pretty good job mulching the leaves, I did run over them twice.
    20181111_133724.jpg
    I have since ordered a high lift blade for the mower so it might lift the leaves and stand the grass up better. The trade off will be slightly more noise and battery usage. The battery last so long I really dont see it to be an issue. I'll let you know after the next cutting as I'll need to mulch the leaves one more time before I put the mower away for the winter.

7. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    The pro's of this mower.
    Extremely light weight, quiet, no maintenance, no gas, oil, spark plugs, or air filters, no drive belts either. No pulling on a rope either, just push a button and squeeze the handle and away you go mowing almost silently. Very fast battery charge time and long run time. All plastic deck wont dent or rust and helps keep the weight down.
    Did I mention that it's quiet? It's even got headlights so I can now the lawn at midnight if I wanted to and no one would here me, the feral cats at my house aren't even scared of it and they just sit on the front deck and watch me mow, lol, the old gas mower would send em running. Would I buy this mower again after using it for a full season? The answer is absolutely yes! I love this thing.

8. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    I almost forgot, what dont I like about it? The only thing I really didn't like is the fact that you have to release the drive lever a few inches before you want to stop or the drive doesn't disengage. Not a big deal really I just had to retrain my mind on how to use the drive versus my old mower. But that's really my only small complaint.

9. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    Now on to the back pack blower. What I like? Extremely light weight compared to my old commercial back pack blower. Super quite, no need to wear ear plugs or muffs with this blower. It has good power and a turbo power button.
    The battery is where most of the weight is. I like the trigger mounted to the tube, that makes it very easy to control.
    20181111_141530.jpg The blower motor is actually in the tube and in direct line of the air flow.
    20181111_141539.jpg The harness is a bit of a joke and way overkill, lol. It's not a jet pack! You really dont need a waist strap, all I use are the shoulder straps. They could probably cut production cost of they did away with the waist belt.
    20181111_141551.jpg
    cfm is more important than mph, its air volume that gets the job done.
    20181111_141608.jpg
    Does it make the claimed 600cfm? I dunno, but I do know that it works and works well, great for weekly lawn maintenance and will do a good job blowing leaves but if you have a lot you will need an extra battery. But if you have the mower and any of the other machines they offer you'll have extra batteries.
    What dont I like? I wish the throttle trigger would lock, it doesn't. And I do not like the waist belt.
    They do offer a handheld blower as well that I hear works good too.
    Overall I am very pleased with the ego line of products, I'll buy their edger next. And it's a Michigan based company, even though it's not made here.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  10. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    Greg, what did that mower run?

11. Eric Rorabaugh

Eric Rorabaugh Diagnosed with addiction by my wife..wood hoarding Full Member

First name:
    Eric
    As fast as you can push it!

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    I got it at home depot in the spring, I think it was $499, push was $399. Knowing what I do now I would buy the push mower because they really dont weigh anything.

• Like Like x 1
  13. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    Oh, and it has a five year warranty.

• Like Like x 3
  14. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    @Kenbo @Mr. Peet Just thought I'd bring this thread back up rather than jacking kenns thread, just a continuation of his conversation about cordless lawn equipment. I'm into my second season with this mower and still love as much as the day I purchased it. I'm completely happy with it. I have since changed the blade to one with a slightly higher lift to get the grass to stand up when mowing, cuts better and still mulches good. This is a plastic deck mower that has proven itself to be durable and trouble free. The mower is so light that if u had to purchase another one I would just get the push mower, it really weighs nothing. I kid around and say it's like a Fisher Price kids mower, but it really is very light weight especially compared to a gas mower. Ego makes a steel deck mower, probably just for those that think it is better, but I gotta tell ya you dont need a steel deck mower, the plastic is great, no rust and tough. I dig the one lever height of cut and took less handle height adjustment. I've still never put the bag on it, never needed it, mulches better than any gas mower I have ever used. I couldn't be happier with this mower and blower. If my current cordless trimmer ever dies I'll buy the Ego brand to replace it so all the batteries will be the same.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  15. Nature Man

Nature Man Member Full Member

First name:
    Chuck
    Begs the question, since you were in the landscape business, would you buy this equipment for business purposes? Chuck

16. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    No I wouldn't, only because you would need a ton off batteries. Maybe for the California noise pollution natzis it would make sense as you have no other alternative. But for the average home owner it's the way to go!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
Current Time: 7:01 PM