• Woodbarter Hats Are Available!!! Scroll down on the main page to the Member Activities & Site Support, Then click on Wood Barter SCHWAG and go to the topic Woodbarter Hats 2022 to order your hat. There's only a limited quanity, so don't wait to get yours.

♫ εηdεd ♫ Brown Mallee pen blanks need casting

GeorgeS

Reaction score
First name
George
I have some very nice Brown Mallee that I need cast for pen blanks. I'm looking to either pay for them to be cast or trade wood for services. These are some really nice off cuts that are squared to just over 3/4". For those of you who frequent these pages these are not from the mountain I bought from Kevin. I haven't touched that yet, lol! I can post some pictures tonight when I get home.

Last edited:

MKTacop

Reaction score
First name
Buddy
How many blanks do you need cast? Let me know some more details (colors, etc.) and I can probably help you out.

GeorgeS

Reaction score
First name
George
@MKTacop Ill get you some pics and a count when I get back to the house tonight. I'm thinking on color maybe a brown or red/burgundy mixed with some gold or something in it? I'll let you take a look and let me know what you think.

GeorgeS

Reaction score
First name
George
@MKTacop Here you go. The first seven on the bottom left are pretty close to a full size blank just need the ends filled. The rest are all nice pieces but will require more casting material for sure. Let me
Know what you think.

image.jpeg

MKTacop

Reaction score
First name
Buddy
I could cast those for you. My pressure pot isn't very big so it would take several casting sessions (i.e. several days) to do. How quickly would you need the blanks?

GeorgeS

Reaction score
First name
George
I'm not in any hurry. Give me an idea of what you would need for your services trade or cash.

MKTacop

Reaction score
First name
Buddy
Personally, I'd rather do it as a trade. Do you have any 8/4 woods you'd be willing to work a trade with?

GeorgeS

Reaction score
First name
George
@MKTacop
Let me see what I have in 8/4. I know I have walnut in that size. I'll take a look and see what else I have. Anything in particular you are looking for?

Last edited:

MKTacop

Reaction score
First name
Buddy
@MKTacop
Let me see what I have in 8/4. I know I have walnut in that size. I'll take a look and see what else I have. Anything in particular you are looking for?

I'm not really looking for anything in particular. A friend shared the plans for a Roorkee chair with me and I really want to build one. Looking at the plans, I'll need a few 8/4 boards 5-6" wide and about 24" long

GeorgeS

Reaction score
First name
George
I'm not really looking for anything in particular. A friend shared the plans for a Roorkee chair with me and I really want to build one. Looking at the plans, I'll need a few 8/4 boards 5-6" wide and about 24" long

I'm not goingt have anything like that. Is there anything else you might be interested in? Anything I have 2" thick isn't that long.

MKTacop

Reaction score
First name
Buddy
That's the only project I have in the works at the moment. What have you got you'd be willing to trade?

GeorgeS

Reaction score
First name
George
Il shoot you some ideas of what I have at the house when I get home. You interested in any finished pens? Not sure what kind of work you do yourself.

:edit I see you make pens so that's out. I'll shoot you some ideas on wood I have on hand tonight. What kind of value are you looking at? What would you normally charge for this type of projects so I know what value to put up?

Last edited:

MKTacop

Reaction score
First name
Buddy
I'm estimating about $45-50 dollars worth of supplies to cast the pieces you showed in the picture, maybe a little less. I've traded with a couple of guys locally and I just trade based on how much in materials I use. I'm not looking to make a profit off doing it, just to maybe get some nice wood in return that I wouldn't have had otherwise.

GeorgeS

Reaction score
First name
George
Ok, sounds good. I have some nice stuff at the house I could post you some pics later tonight. Gives me a good idea of what to shoot for and if you find it trade lopsided once you cast you can let me know and we will even it up.

MKTacop

Reaction score
First name
Buddy
That's a nice piece, but I've already got quite a bit of Cocobolo. Any suitable bowl blanks you'd be willing to trade?

GeorgeS

Reaction score
First name
George
No bowl blanks to fit the bill. How about a piece of spalted pecan and armed wood burl.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

MKTacop

Reaction score
First name
Buddy
Those look nice. PM me with how you'd like the other pieces cast and I'll give you my address. That will also give me time to get anything I need ordered.